Flying with the clouds

Reaction score
A sneak peek into my flight around our highest mountain this Saturday. I have a lot more footage from that day since I brought 4 batteries with me but that's gonna wait a little bit until I get a faster computer.

The video isn't edited because I'm still waiting for a NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 video card for my new computer which's gonna make my life as a video editor a lot easier.

A sneak peek into my flight around our highest mountain this Saturday. I have a lot more footage from that day since I brought 4 batteries with me but that's gonna wait a little bit until I get a faster computer.

The video isn't edited because I'm still waiting for a NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 video card for my new computer which's gonna make my life as a video editor a lot easier.

Great video Dude, where are you flying, looks good and high... :)
Waylander

Thank you. These are the Alps in Europe. I started climbing the mountain at 3 AM on Saturday just to arrive to this place at the right time :)

Great Job man.. I like your dedication too the task, looks worth the effort :)

Reactions: apprentice
Thank you. I usually shoot this early since there is not many people around and the light is great.

That was amazing! I'm jealous of your location. I've subscribed to you and cannot wait to see more!
Thank you. Glad you like it. You can always come over here ;)

I'm planning to do some more over the summer. I just hope the weather will be fine. We were quite unlucky with the weather recently. And sometimes the wind is way too strong and I can't fly.

I have some more videos on YouTube but they are private. Like this one from Venice, Italy.
https://youtu.be/eXS7DJgijHE

I can't edit them like I would like too since the current computer I have isn't really fast enough for editing 4K video. I really hope I get a NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 for under $700 soon and then I'll build a new faster computer.

Thank you. Glad you like it. You can always come over here ;)

I'm planning to do some more over the summer. I just hope the weather will be fine. We were quite unlucky with the weather recently. And sometimes the wind is way too strong and I can't fly.

I have some more videos on YouTube but they are private. Like this one from Venice, Italy.
https://youtu.be/eXS7DJgijHE

I can't edit them like I would like too since the current computer I have isn't really fast enough for editing 4K video. I really hope I get a NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 for under $700 soon and then I'll build a new faster computer.

OMG dude you are very well traveled, and you seem to like the very early mornings, but great video very well done, are you a pro...? :)

Thanks :) There are several reasons for the early mornings.

The first one is definitely the great light you get.

Then the next one are the weather and wind. It is usually more windy later in the day and during the summer you can get T-storms in the afternoon.

And of course what I'm doing is not completely legal. So I get early. If you're flying in the US national parks - at least in Utah & Nevada where I was - the park rangers arrive to the park at 8 AM. So you have to finish by that time. In the park here where I live it's also not allowed to take of and land within the park territory so I get early when less people are there. But for Venice there is not many people around at the sunrise. It's prohibited to fly there. So you're trying to avoid flying at times when a greater chance is that someone is going to report you to the police. I don't know exactly how's with the police in Venice but here where I live the response time is around 30 to 45 minutes. You need to be quick and move to another place by that time.

During the summer it's also hotter of course. For me even temperatures just below room temperatures are hot. I prefer temperatures close to freezing. You consume more water when it's hot and you're slower. And you have to bring more liquid to drink with. And that's an additional weight. For this trip I brought 3 liters of liquid. It was just enough. But if I would climb later I should bring at least a liter more. And that's one additional kilogram.

Ahh... yes of course, all the points you raise are valid when you think about it, again great video, as I said before great dedication to the task.
Obviously people on the forum don't advocate doing anything illegal.. Lol :rolleyes: ;)
But take care dude, don't get caught.....
Waylander

Great shots! I understand that you're shooting in the early morning. When the air is cooler/denser and winds are calm. However, with that altitude density altitude will definitely affect climb performance. What are your experiences with this and how are the batt drains this high up?

Great shots! I understand that you're shooting in the early morning. When the air is cooler/denser and winds are calm. However, with that altitude density altitude will definitely affect climb performance. What are your experiences with this and how are the batt drains this high up?
I didn't notice any major difference. If I check HealthDrones it says I could fly 24 minutes 42 seconds with this battery but when I was flying in Venice, Italy (which was at the sea level) I could fly 25 minutes 32 seconds.

I only flew 10 minutes 30 seconds with the battery I used to shoot this video (I had 3 more with me). Took off at 100% and landed at 57%.

But while in Venice I flew 18 minutes 13 seconds. Took off at 100% and landed at 26%.

There was a difference in height. While in Venice I didn't flew over 100 meters (300 feet) but now I set the top limit to 450 meters. My top height this time was 223.8 meters (734 feet). But it is true that I also flew below the starting point.

All the batteries I have were purchased at the same time and I rotate them so that all of them are used equally.

I was also flying at Bryce Canyon, UT. It's at about similar elevation. At that time I was flying around 18 minutes and I didn't notice any major difference.

Hope this helps.

BTW. The interesting thing here is that it was still quite windy while I was flying in the mountains. I always have anemometer with me so that I can measure the wind speed before flight. The highest wind speed I measured was 20 km/h at the time. But. HealthyDrones only measured 3 m/s which was around 10 km/h. That was half of what I measured. For my opinion the wind speed was really around 20 km/h and not 10 km/h.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20