Flying with no gimbal help

Reaction score
My P3S gimbal is off the drone because of non-reparable issues. I do not plan to replace it as I would like to upgrade to a P3A. However, I would like to fly the P3S as is but I will not be using the GO app as it will not communicate with a drone sans gimbal.

The controller will allow compass calibration and I assume RTH. I don't know about calibrating the IMU. I guess I cannot upgrade FW on the drone as well as change any parameters. Now comes the questions. How does RTH work, i.e., what are its parameters? The same goes with max distance and altitude. Will it just remember the last set of parameters just before the crash or is there a way to change parameters and upgrade FW, etc., using the USB port and a computer?

Are you sure the transmitter in the gimbal is broken? If not, you can take it out the gimbal base and build it inside the Phantom Standard, enabling all telemetry during flight (and start calibrations).

Ofcourse updating firmware is not possible, since the SD cardreader is build into the camera part of the gimbal. Btw, how do you want to calibrate the compass with only the remote? As far as i know it can only be initiated with the GO-app as well. I see, toggle S1 switch more than three times. :)

I have a few pictures taken when i build my transmitter in the P3S, let me know if i should post them.

I took out the base board and found that the pins for the ribbon connector to the drone were bent due to a poor attempt to slide the ribbon on. There was (is) no guide to help align the connector - very poor design. When I looked at videos, people just slipped them in so I don't know if mine was built differently. Anyway, when I attempted to straighten them, some snapped off. I have been looking for someone who might have a broken gimbal for sale as I don't think you can buy the board alone. I thought about soldering the wire on the board but we're talking about micro welding. If I knew only a few wires were needed and which ones, I might give it a try.

On calibrating the compass from the controller, move switch S1 up an down quickly five times. Watch the lights on the drone and do the "dance."

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

But there are only 8 wires, why not connect them all? I believe the solder points next to the connector can be used for that.

f27ndv.png

You can also carefully try to remove the broken connector from the pcb, giving yourself more space to solder the ribbon cable.

Thanks, I realized that the connector itself had come loose from the board. My eyesight is not good enough, even with Hobby goggles to do the work. However, I was able to find somebody who could do it for me and all is well. Thank you for your comment.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

But there are only 8 wires, why not connect them all? I believe the solder points next to the connector can be used for that.

f27ndv.png

You can also carefully try to remove the broken connector from the pcb, giving yourself more space to solder the ribbon cable.
I would tap into the wire a few inches up and solder a fine wire to the contact on the board. It would be difficult to remove , but if need be you could cut or desolder where you have it connected to the cable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj