Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying with less than 100% battery charge

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by mike123, Aug 7, 2016.

1. mike123

Hi all. Read that one should only fly with full 100% battery. So fly short mission say down to 80%. Turn off for five minutes and want to capture that amazing shot, ok to fly again or not?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. RedHotPoker

Yes you can fly safely few times with a fresh battery. But If your batteries have sat around and possibly discharged some, it's best to top them off first. Fully charged batteries are more reliable.

RedHotPoker

monkeychops likes this.
  3. WetDog

Instead of re hashing this over and over, you might want to read a few of the dozens of threads on the topic. We've pretty much beat this one to death.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

It's okay to use the same battery multiple times as long as you're watching the battery voltage to ensure you land in time.

Digdat0 likes this.
  5. flyNfrank

Adjust settings so that the Volts display in the upper right corner of the flight screen and keep that display from turning red and you should be ok. If it does turn red and you continue flying, be prepared for things to turn ugly.

monkeychops likes this.
  6. alokbhargava

Yes you can fly it again, I would suggest you not to turn battery off though props can be switched off. Keep an eye on the battery voltage and NOT on the remains % charge. Also suggest to elevate battery low level warning to say 40%.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

7. mike123

Thankyou all , confidence restored. Have read fully thesis by Red hot poker. Most informative section on resetting of voltage displays.

Safe flying all

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

RedHotPoker likes this.
  8. tcope

Ditto whar msigner and Frank mentioned... _everyone_ should keep the voltage display setting turned on. The percentage is a good _guess_ at what charge is left in the battery but the voltage (lowest cell) is a far better indicator.

9. ElGuapo

mike 123 - this should answer all of your questions: Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

10. RedHotPoker

Hey @mike123, Thanks for the kind vote of confidence. Not sure where all these accolades are coming from. Getting grateful PM's and thoughtful comments in these forum posts is marvelous. I enjoy sharing pertinent info, helpful suggestions and personal experience.
    Thankfully there are numerous other RC aficionados on here and other forums, with vast more RC knowledge than I, who would consistently share their expertise with the rest of us. If some of those smarts have rubbed off on me, that's truly awesome.

I continue to learn from them bright others, just as you have hopefully learned some-things from me too. ;-)
    What goes around.. Ha

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

11. Huskerred

What is a good voltage number and what number would make you not fly it at all?

12. msinger

Approved Vendor

Check out this thread.

Huskerred likes this.
  13. m0j0

My goal is to be touching down at the latest with 3.4 volts. To clarify, set your display to show volts. I would make certain to touch down no later than 3.4..... To explain a little more, if a cell goes below 3.0 volts that will be the end of your flight and wherever your Phantom is the motors will stop.