Flying with iPad Mini - No Wi-Fi Internet

Reaction score
So what should I expect if I go out in the park tomorrow and fly with my iPad mini as the tablet device...it has no cell radio...will I see any map at all? Do I need to pre-download / store-offline the Google maps for the area-- does that even help..

I do have a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 that has Verizon 4G in it and can act as a hotspot, but I figured better not to introduce that 2.4 Ghz channel contention right??

You need to cache the maps before you head out. While connected to the Internet, fire up the DJI GO app, go to the location on the map where you'll be flying, zoom into level on the map that you'll be flying at, and scroll around to all areas on the map where you plan to fly. That will download the map images and store them locally so they are available later when you're offline. When you disconnect your device from the Internet, you should see your maps are still available.

So what should I expect if I go out in the park tomorrow and fly with my iPad mini as the tablet device...it has no cell radio...will I see any map at all? Do I need to pre-download / store-offline the Google maps for the area-- does that even help..

I do have a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 that has Verizon 4G in it and can act as a hotspot, but I figured better not to introduce that 2.4 Ghz channel contention right??
if you have wifi on it you can use your phone as a hotspot and download the map at the location they turn off the hotspot on the phone and the wifi on you device.

Here's a video if you want to see the caching in action:

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj