Flying with gimbal blocked?

Reaction score
I was curious about possibly doing an airplane or helicopter style flight simulator recording. In other words, camera pointed straight out the nose, locked. I'm guessing, that flying the P3 with the gimbal block in would not be good for the motors, but I don't know the actual design. If the gimbal maintains its position only through the gyroscopes, then it's likely not a big deal. However, if there's a direct drive, then there would be a problem.

Does anybody know just how the gimbal maintains or changes position?

I know on the P2V+ the directions specifically say to never power on the Quad with the block in place.

Ya not a good Idea to fly with the gimbal locked as it can burn up the motors.. Tho if you want to have and fpv type view you can select it to be in fpv mode then the gimbal will not roll with the craft when you turn and tilt.

Ya not a good Idea to fly with the gimbal locked as it can burn up the motors.. Tho if you want to have and fpv type view you can select it to be in fpv mode then the gimbal will not roll with the craft when you turn and tilt.

I tried the FPV mode and the gimbal still acts like normal so maybe that hasn't been made operable in the latest firmware yet.

Thanks for the responses - kind of the safe conclusion I came to.

The FPV only stops "roll" - doesn't affect"pitch". That would be a nice addition.

I tried the FPV mode and the gimbal still acts like normal so maybe that hasn't been made operable in the latest firmware yet.
I am having to send my P3P in because the gimbal doesn't stay level and nothing happens when I select FPV mode. I have noticed that it allows FPV mode if I do a gimbal cal while hovering with no wind(that was the alleged fix for the gimbal not staying level, it didn't work)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers