Flying With Confidence....

Reaction score
1con·fi·dence
noun \ˈkän-fə-dən(t)s, -ˌden(t)s\
: the quality or state of being certain : certitude <they had every confidence of success>

I'll preface this post by stating up front there is a big difference between confidence and over confidence...mainly that overconfidence can lead to disaster....

Would you get in an airplane and take off in a fog if there were no gauges on the dashboard to guide you? Well that's pretty much how I felt every time i flew out of sight and had to rely on the Vision app for vital information. I never felt the format was properly laid out and it certainly wasn't legible in daylight...that is, until today...

A couple of weeks ago forum member DBS (Da Brain Surgeon) posted a new mod for his android device and the addition of Sixaxis buttons to his TX, enabling the pilot to keep his hands on the TX at all times and the enlargement of the Vision app screen, allowing full view of all operations occurring in the DJI software. After reading his thread I realized I needed to step up my game if I wanted to pursue long range flight. Last week I bit the bullet and shipped off my TX to him for the upgrade...

Knowing where you're at geographically is a large part of long range flying, and the ability to manipulate my camera without taking my hands off the stick is HUGE....same goes with taking that money screenshot when you are flying at the edge of reception/battery power and maintaining momentum is mission critical. Every second saved is another meter gained and all of these upgrades result in confidence...

Thanks to DBS for a job well done! And BTW....new PB as a result.... :mrgreen:

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-long-range-phantom--brodie-white-80560/

Nice flight I haven't checked flytrex for a while I've been bumped way back time to fire up and try again. My only problem is where there is a large enough area to fly is always high in elevation so my batteries suffer quite a bit I run out of battery before signal and have to turn around and come back home or risk not being able to make it home

What a morning today ayy bro? Wish i woulda took video of the look on your face and some reactions to different things this morning... :D ... (why do i never think of that?)

anyway... are you getting the video edited and posted or will that be later? Just curious to look at the end point turn around and speeds etc... now it's making me wonder how far you can actually go on that particular antenna... you had a lot more ther I'm sure if it wasn't for the freeway cutting you off :twisted:

(i realized later today i forgot your **** repeater antennas again... sorry)

Mods done for Brodies "Flight confidence" mission...

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4:
Rooted with CF Auto Root...
Busy Box installed...
jrummy's ROM Toolbox installed for bootanimation.qmg and system file tweaks
DPI changes to DJI Vision, Vision+ Utility Pro, and Sixaxis for bigger screen features using Xposed installer and APP Settings Module
Adaway installed
Sixaxis installed and paired with PS3 Dual shock controller
Stock Samsung ROM stripped and cleaned of all unnecessary apps that may try to run, sync, or poll wifi during flight
Now showing 700mb used and 1.2gb free RAM at idle
(it is now a true dedicated flight tablet)

PS3 DualShock controller mod:
installed inside Phantom transmitter...
Buttons added for... Camera tilt... Radar open/close... Video start/stop... snapshot... screenshot
DualShock power/status indicator added to front of tx
DualShock charger port added to battery compartment

DJI tx:
Cleaned up RP-SMA install from previous owner
secured u.fl connector properly
routed wire properly, removed kinks, secured with hot glue
fixed faulty SMA back end separation
resecured 5.8 tx module

The look on his face when he seen the tablet boot sequence... ... million dollar smile

The reaction when he did 3.2miles with his new setup................... priceless :D

I sense witchcraft! LOL

Congrats Brodie!

Attachments

• witchcraft1.JPG
    witchcraft1.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 561
Hey I took that shot!!!

Next few sundays bro... grass will be mowed... couple cold fronts coming thru with dryer air... :D
gadda flip things around and fly the other way and see what you get out of it... :ugeek:

do you have the darn video put together yet?? getting impatient over here dude :|

Dude...the past 48 hours have been technologically challenging.... :mrgreen:

2 failed Dashware overlays and a Disco Pro that suddenly won't communicate with my Futaba/EZUHF setup....the only good news I have is that the last of my F550 build parts showed in the mail today and that bird will fly shortly!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20