Flying with a less than fully charged battery can cause this

Reaction score
My Dad flew with a battery that had not been fully charged. The battery was showing 50% on take off. You'd think there would be enough for even a short flight right?... No. Auto land initiated at 48% and it was panic time. Not to worry, a kind hearted very tall fir tree clutched and held the Phantom safely in its arms. It took $200 to convince the old tree to release it's treasure. Spending a short time making sure your batteries are FULLY charged will help prevent loss and is worth it.

Sage advice about flying with a fully charged battery and given some of your informative threads and experience, would be curious to know why the AC went into auto land. I've had tree loppers around my place a few times and marvel at how they do what they do. They are worth every cent and I can sit back with a beer and just shake my head. My biggest fear is what occurred to you given the million 30 mtr high trees that surround my place.

I'd be afraid of the battery going completely dead when up in the tree. I heard that if a Dji intelligent flight lipo battery went completely dead it would not be able to be charged. Can someone confirm this?

I would love to know why auto land occured at 48%. I tried to upload the .csv file to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, but I can't get the web page to display the data. I had this issue before and finally got it to work but cannot remember what it took to make it display correctly.

I would love to know why auto land occured at 48%. I tried to upload the .csv file to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, but I can't get the web page to display the data. I had this issue before and finally got it to work but cannot remember what it took to make it display correctly.
Correct me if im wrong but when a battery isn't fully charged it's not calibrated right and registers that the battery is low when it is not. That's why DJI recommends discharging them to 8% and fully charging them every 20 flights.

Correct me if im wrong but when a battery isn't fully charged it's not calibrated right and registers that the battery is low when it is not. That's why DJI recommends discharging them to 8% and fully charging them every 20 flights.
That's the only thing I can see causing an auto land with that much showing. It seems to be a issue with the drone and or battery not having a data curve ability to see levels as it looks like in the display. Personally, I don't think this is desirable. At the most I think it should only give a warning (Battery was not at critical low level) and the user should be able to decide what action to take. Not force land willy nilly with an apparent "It's got enough for now" battery level indication.

According to my Dad, the battery that was in the drone caught by the tree did of course discharge to either zero or if DJI wrote a code that cuts it off at near zero. When he put it on the charger it showed fully discharged, but did in fact take a charge. He then flew it and states normal flight. His Healthy drones shows battery info normal. 96% life left overall.

Show me where DJI recommends this...

I'd be afraid of the battery going completely dead when up in the tree. I heard that if a Dji intelligent flight lipo battery went completely dead it would not be able to be charged. Can someone confirm this?
False. These are called intelligent batteries for a reason. It will cut itself off.

If your old Man had flown that pack down to 50% the same day as venturing out in this flight all would likely be good. My guess is this one has been sitting around and entered the auto discharge routine to take it down to 50%. More than one user has had this bad experience. Pleased to hear it had a happy ending.

If your old Man had flown that pack down to 50% the same day as venturing out in this flight all would likely be good. My guess is this one has been sitting around and entered the auto discharge routine to take it down to 50%. More than one user has had this bad experience. Pleased to hear it had a happy ending.
That was my first thought. But he had flown that battery the previous day and just didn't check it when it was inserted. The auto discharge was set to 10 days. This shows the phantoms program cannot properly calculate the curve or similar projection. His critical battery was set to 30% I believe with a RTH choice. It went critical and wanted to squat where it was.

That was my first thought. But he had flown that battery the previous day and just didn't check it when it was inserted. The auto discharge was set to 10 days. This shows the phantoms program cannot properly calculate the curve or similar projection. His critical battery was set to 30% I believe with a RTH choice. It went critical and wanted to squat where it was.
Ok, I don't understand why it would ever be a good idea to increase the critical warning above the minimum possible setting, have the warning level wherever it suits but an autoland being force initiated when yiou just know you could get it back to you can't be a good idea.

Ok, I don't understand why it would ever be a good idea to increase the critical warning above the minimum possible setting, have the warning level wherever it suits but an autoland being force initiated when yiou just know you could get it back to you can't be a good idea.
I misspoke on critical setting. I meant to say low at 30% and critical at 10%. Which neither of those levels were present. It acted as if 49% was critical.

Here is a visual I made showing battery levels along with amp levels.
Phantom tree flight voltages.png

I misspoke on critical setting. I meant to say low at 30% and critical at 10%. Which neither of those levels were present. It acted as if 49% was critical.
Without seeing a log file fair guess is significant voltage imbalance issues triggered the critical scenario. Am aware of more than one issue like this with a battery that had entered self discharge.

For the life of me I cannot get https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ to show anything except the columns and borders of that page. It uploads the csv but wont render anything else. I've tried 32 and 64 bit firefox, explorer and chrome browsers. I've tried 32 and 64 bit flash and the same for Java. It just won't render. A long time ago I was able to get it to render, but can't remember what it was that made it work. Here is airdata page of this flight.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

For the life of me I cannot get https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ to show anything except the columns and borders of that page. It uploads the csv but wont render anything else. I've tried 32 and 64 bit firefox, explorer and chrome browsers. I've tried 32 and 64 bit flash and the same for Java. It just won't render. A long time ago I was able to get it to render, but can't remember what it was that made it work. Here is airdata page of this flight.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
You can send me the file and I can see what I can do. I'll pm you my email.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj