Flying while snowing

Bottom line- you're going to get wet and accumulate moisture on body, motors, and even camera. The blades can obliterate heavy snowflakes and the mist can hit the camera lens.

I've flown blade 350 qx2 ap combo in snow. It's the predecessor to the horizon hobby blade chroma.

I can tell you that in light snow quads will be fine- what is light snow? Light snow would be the equivalent of a sprinkle or drizzle. An accumulation of 1 inch of powder in a 4 hour period, essentially.

That being said, the props do act as a vortex and will change the path of snowflakes this doesn't equate to the Props protecting the quad- they did hit the quad, motors, and camera.

When I flew in a light shower I flew for 30 minutes-(3 batteries) and only had to wipe camera once. The quad body i wiped each time. There was nothing wrong and no damage that I found. I didn't encounter any moisture damage or residual problems after the fact.

But some if you might frown upon flying in poor conditions but snowboarding is a big deal to my family and getting a little snip of footage seems appropriate within reason it's not as if I was doing a distance flight in a blizzard just Hovering at 15 feet and following. Also if I only flew quads on perfect days I would never get to fly. If I only drive my car on sub optimal days I would miss work. I refuse to limit myself and impose too much restriction that I become paralyzed. Within reason. I don't fly in rain ever but snow is an exception.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Bottom line- you're going to get wet and accumulate moisture on body, motors, and even camera. The blades can obliterate heavy snowflakes and the mist can hit the camera lens.

I've flown blade 350 qx2 ap combo in snow. It's the predecessor to the horizon hobby blade chroma.

I can tell you that in light snow quads will be fine- what is light snow? Light snow would be the equivalent of a sprinkle or drizzle. An accumulation of 1 inch of powder in a 4 hour period, essentially.

That being said, the props do act as a vortex and will change the path of snowflakes this doesn't equate to the Props protecting the quad- they did hit the quad, motors, and camera.

When I flew in a light shower I flew for 30 minutes-(3 batteries) and only had to wipe camera once. The quad body i wiped each time. There was nothing wrong and no damage that I found. I didn't encounter any moisture damage or residual problems after the fact.

But some if you might frown upon flying in poor conditions but snowboarding is a big deal to my family and getting a little snip of footage seems appropriate within reason it's not as if I was doing a distance flight in a blizzard just Hovering at 15 feet and following. Also if I only flew quads on perfect days I would never get to fly. If I only drive my car on sub optimal days I would miss work. I refuse to limit myself and impose too much restriction that I become paralyzed. Within reason. I don't fly in rain ever but snow is an exception.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks I'll give it a try probably this WE... if it snows. I'll consider your suggestions.

Thanks I'll give it a try probably this WE... if it snows. I'll consider your suggestions.

I fly in light snow. I warm up bird in the house then walk outside and allow it to acquire GPS and home point, then launch.

I did about 5 -7 minutes of flight time as I was breaking in new batteries. I then hand catch and bring bird into the house and download video to ipad. This leaves battery in service long enough so that bird "dries" out(even though there is no sign of moisture.)

I have had no issues with fog, condensation, etc. I usually only limit flights due to heavy snow, rain and high wind. In other words almost all the time in Ontario,...........

Today, easily 30 mph winds on the lake and gusts surpassing warp speed. But hey the sun is finally shining after several weeks............

Reactions: ScatSpeak
It's easy to say that he's doing it wrong, but I'm an avid user of this site and 95% of the information I'm seeking to find if I type in a search for it it gives me nothing. Maybe because I only use the mobile app...
Well there's no sitewide search in the app, but all sections General Forums, Phantom 3, etc, all have a search function. And its not visible by defult…
Maybe the reason why phantompilots.com have so many identical threads, compared to other online forums.
[file]search for snow|none|search for snow[/file]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4