Flying where no GPS Satellites are??

Reaction score
Hey community

I am ready to take my v2+v3.0 to the Mayan jungles but I am bit concern over no GPS location, I know for fact there are no GPS signals there what should I do?

How is that different?
Is it dangerous?
Will it still return to home point?

Excuse the newbie questions just want make sure

All should be well if you fly in ATTI and keep it within your sight.

All GPS-related features will not work when you have less than 6 satellites. That means your Phantom will not be able to return to home -- since it does not know how to locate it. Your Phantom will also drift with the wind since GPS is used to keep the Phantom's position steady.

Which mayan jungles if I may ask? I am from Guatemala and have had no problems with the gps, but then again i have not yet gone to the jungle with it. but at least in some of the ruins, you will have 3g, and so probably GPS too... for Tikal not so sure, but just keep it in sight.

Reactions: egnogra
It shouldn't be any different in that region of the world as long as you have unobstructed views of the sky. However when you say 'jungle' then that brings to mind the the canopy of trees and other plants which will make it difficult to receive the signals consistently.

Good Luck.

Which mayan jungles if I may ask? I am from Guatemala and have had no problems with the gps, but then again i have not yet gone to the jungle with it. but at least in some of the ruins, you will have 3g, and so probably GPS too... for Tikal not so sure, but just keep it in sight.

I have some land near chichen itza in the yucatan and i want to make some flyovers of my property and of some ruins scattered all around there..
my concern was if i fly to far and i lost signal what will it happen if there arent any GPS satellites?
also what about when you calibrate it doesnt that set the GPS point anyway to return home?

I have some land near chichen itza in the yucatan and i want to make some flyovers of my property and of some ruins scattered all around there..
my concern was if i fly to far and i lost signal what will it happen if there arent any GPS satellites?
also what about when you calibrate it doesnt that set the GPS point anyway to return home?
Oh, I have no idea if it will work on Chichen itza, but i would try to mantain visual of the drone, but i guess you will know when you get there.

You may live in a remote area, but that won't affect GPS. The satellites orbit the whole planet, you might even find you get better reception due to less interference.

When I can't get more than 6 sats, I launch in ATTI high enough to get more sats locks. This will try and ensure a home point. If I cant get sats, then I just fly ATTI in close range and watch the trees for wind.

Also, If you are flying under canopy, change the RTH height to 0. You don't want RTH activating accidently and hitting the trees on its way up.

GPS is world wide. If you've got a clear view of the sky down to near the horizon in most directions, you'll get a GPS lock. If the view of the sky is obscured by tall buildings, tall mountains or heavy tree cover, then GPS will be spotty. But otherwise it should lock up just fine.

I concur all places have GPS coverage unless you under something that blocks sky view. If this happen then just fly in ATTI mode. Takes better skills to fly ATTI. Just practice very close range until you get good at it.

Hello. I was wondering if there are any known rules or regulations for flying a Phantom at Chichen Itza, tulum or other known ruins. Thank you

Regarding the Mayan jungle, I recently posted drone footage of the ruins at Tikal Guatemala at the following channel. This was simply a recreational, non-commercial project. My partner used a Mavic Pro and had no trouble with satellites. However, he did have trouble with the park rangers who insisted he land. Tikal is a national park and tourist attraction. You will not be given permission to fly over the park.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31