Flying up Waterfall in Banff, AB. Mountain Ram!!!!!

Reaction score
Cool flight up a water fall in Banff, Alberta. Video has some black flashes for a brief moment, some issue during rendering.

Followed some Mountain Ram, along the cliff, was really cool FPV experience. FPV in the mountains is AMAZING!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4NAyi0X49Y[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4NAyi0X49Y

I'm impressed that you got that much range to fly up the falls and into the canyon. I wouldn't be surprised if the Banff Park Wardens contact you because of the way the sheep reacted.
Were using FPV goggles or just a smartphone?

Big Bull said:
I'm impressed that you got that much range to fly up the falls and into the canyon. I wouldn't be surprised if the Banff Park Wardens contact you because of the way the sheep reacted.
Were using FPV goggles or just a smartphone?

i looked online quickly before i did the flight to see if they had "banned" drones in the park yet….didnt find anything. But didnt look to hard either. Any info on this?

To my knowledge, there are no regulations preventing flying of UAV's in Canadian National Parks. However, I'm pretty sure we will see them outlawed soon. There are regulations regarding disturbing wildlife. I'm not saying that is what you did, but I'm willing to bet that someone will accuse you of that. Just sayin'.

I agree, i was worried about spooking them, but what about commercial scenic heli flights that operate all year? Hard to believe they can deem something 1/10th the size more hazardous to the natural environment.

I was using immersionrc 600mw, with spironet antenna, and farshark predator goggles. No signal issues at all, have done many 3km+ flights with this setup. Generally lose signal with the remote before the TX. line of sight is obviously the main key to long range with 5.8ghz

Well, it happened. I just saw an email stating the the use of Drones/UAV's is not allowed in Jasper National Park. The way that it was worded indicated that their use is not allowed in any Canadian National Parks. I sent an email asking to see the regulation in the National Parks Act that makes their use illegal. I'm not surprised, but pretty choked, considering that I live in a national park.
At least I got 4 flights in before it happened.

drinkwater08 said:
I agree, i was worried about spooking them, but what about commercial scenic heli flights that operate all year? Hard to believe they can deem something 1/10th the size more hazardous to the natural environment.

I was using immersionrc 600mw, with spironet antenna, and farshark predator goggles. No signal issues at all, have done many 3km+ flights with this setup. Generally lose signal with the remote before the TX. line of sight is obviously the main key to long range with 5.8ghz
Wow! I'm impressed! I almost crapped my pants just watching you ascend up through that canyon! Way cool!

Shuether said:
Big Bull did you ever hear back on usage in the parks?

Yes, here is the link to the regulation:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-97-150/index.html

I was told by Parks Canada Wardens that the only place that I can take off and/or land in Jasper is at the airstrip, as long as I paid my $5 landing fee.
However, this would contravine Transport Canada's regulations. I haven't called Air Traffic Control in Edmonton to verify this, as our airstrip is a bit unique. It is possible to fly commercially in the National Parks if you have insurance, pay for a Parks Canada film permit, and meet some other requirements. I have restricted my flying to outside the park for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik