Flying under bridges

Reaction score
I've flown under a bridge once. I went under it quick in case I lost signal so it might have enough momentum to pop out on the other side. The video signal briefly broke up a little. I was worried about RTH being triggered. That would result in the drone flying up into the bridge then falling into the water. Is there a safe way to do this or is it not advisable?

If you can see your drone you won't lose signal and RTH will not trigger.
What can happen if you are slow is that the bridge deck will block enough of your sky view and your phanton finds itself in atto mode.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I've flown under a bridge once. I went under it quick in case I lost signal so it might have enough momentum to pop out on the other side. The video signal briefly broke up a little. I was worried about RTH being triggered. That would result in the drone flying up into the bridge then falling into the water. Is there a safe way to do this or is it not advisable?
Also if you can see your drone well you might try turning off OA if it's a tighter fit especially. Sometimes OA will kick in at last min and cause bird to stop abruptly and jerk a little bit. Scares you more than anything. But you may not be able to fly some smaller spaces with OA on. Anyone familiar with the Narrow Sensing Mode and used it yet btw? I have not tried it so far.

I've flown under a bridge once. I went under it quick in case I lost signal so it might have enough momentum to pop out on the other side.
If you lose signal the aircraft will actively brake and stop so I don't think speed/momentum would help much.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
It might even be best in Atti mode after your confident with flying by your screen! Might be more fluid looking if your not steady on forward stick.

The opening is probably at least 40-50' wide, 50' deep (going through) and maybe 35' high. Plenty of room to go through. My concern is losing signal while going under then having the bird go into RTH mode, shooting up into the bridge then into the water. I only did it once at full throttle (yeah, the momentum thing :) ). The signal broke up a little at one point so I thought it was over.

The opening is probably at least 40-50' wide, 50' deep (going through) and maybe 35' high. Plenty of room to go through. My concern is losing signal while going under then having the bird go into RTH mode, shooting up into the bridge then into the water. I only did it once at full throttle (yeah, the momentum thing :) ). The signal broke up a little at one point so I thought it was over.
Yeah if it's a long stretch going under one you may want to turn RTH off. So you won't get that at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie