Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying To My Work Place

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by lil boss, Oct 9, 2016.

1. lil boss

Hi Everybody,
    I'm planning on flying to where I work, which is a car dealer. There are loads of cars all over the place. I am concerned about all the metal from the cars interfering with the drone's compass, GPS (?), and wherever else. What would be a safe minimum altitude to avoid interference ? I would not want to lose control and fall into a few cars.... Not Good ! :eek: TIA

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

All should be fine if you keep 10+ feet away from the cars.

lil boss likes this.
  3. lil boss

That's good, I thought the distance would be much greater... Thank you.

4. HWCM

I land mine on top of my car and have not had an issue.

5. lil boss

Well, That's Very Interesting...

6. Richard R

Be aware, landing on a car might work, but don't try taking off from one. As has been discussed here several times, sitting on the car when you power up will definitely drew with the compass.

7. lil boss

Gotcha... Not too cool on either one.. landing or taking off

8. HWCM

I do that too. many many times. Zero issues. Many years of flying and building quads with autonomous flight controllers. Never a problem. I used to use a large metal container lid as a launch pad too. No issues. So I dunno.
    i also land and take off from my neighbors metal shed with metal roof periodically. No problems. I fly around water towers around here too. I get pretty close. I got close enough to the top of one to land on it. I had no compass errors.

9. lil boss

Wow, That is so strange because I had the opposite experience. I was flying in the outfield of a softball field... I flew close to the metal fence behind home plate... the drone was probably 20 ft away from the backstop, at about 20 ft altitude. At that point the drone just stopped, and hovered. My controls ceased to function. It was as if I had turned off the controller, but of course I hadn't. Scared, I started running towards the drone. About 1/2 way there it started reacting to my controller. I don't know if it was the backstop, but at the time I thought it probably was. Now, if one of my flights takes me over that area I make a point to be at least 100 ft altitude. Nothing has happened in that area since. I have half a notion to replay that scenario and see if the same thing happens... But, no, I can't take the chance of something worse happening. Perhaps it was not the backstop... :confused:

HWCM likes this.