Flying to Hawaii with phantom..issues?

Reaction score
I'm heading to the big island from Seattle for a couple of weeks and want to bring the phantom and the stock charger, three 2700 mah storm batts and tx. Anyone done this? Need any special care for the lipos?

There have been a number of threads on this board (do a search??) about airline flying with the Phantom....including one where I asked basically the same question.

As I understand it, there is no problem with any of the components....EXCEPT....the Lipo batteries (and in fact your Ni-cads and Li-ion). They WANT your batteries in your carry-on, where any problem with shorting, smoke, fire occurs where it is detected early and dealt with.....NOT buried deep in the hold where the first indication of trouble is something falling off.

Some have carried the PH open in their hands, others in a carry-on case. My case is too big and will have to be checked when I fly....but I will have it hand inspected and then lock it.

My son, who is a travel editor, has taken a PH on several international trips. He stresses..terminology is everything! Don't call it a "DRONE". It is a "TOY!"

In Hawaii....keep your powder...and your Phantom...DRY!

Jacobclackey said:
I flew to Costa Rica, and everything works fine, and i did'nt have to recalibrate compass. DJI says, the Phantom may ask you to recalibrate it if your going far, but I never had any problems.

Flirting with disaster Jacob. I flew to Kosrae (in the Pacific) and definitely did the compass dance. Better safe than sorry. But to each his own.

Check with the airline your flying with regards to carry on and LiPo limits if they have any. Here is a video a friend of mine made showing how he got a large phantom case on as carry on and I think US airlines are quite a bit more generous then some we have in Australia regarding what you can carry on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vejIsan4lQA[/youtube]

Definitely good to do the compass dance after the flight and if you have your laptop a full advanced calibration wouldn't be a bad idea as who knows what effects the scans and such may have had on the electronics.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.