Flying through / under buildings

Reaction score
I'm shooting a promo video for a building (very soon), that features a "key hole" (see attached image).

Ideally, I'd love to use waypoints (with Litchi), so I could swoop down and through and pivot around as I exit--or if nothing else, fly backwards through it so I could look up at the soffit (where some of the featured paneling is located) so that I can keep as much of my props out of the frame as possible.

The building overlaying the others is the same width as the building on the right that it's "resting" on. I've practiced UNDER a freeway bridge out in the country in ATTI mode with a P3P, but not as wide or as much structure above as this building has, plus the bridge was low to the ground with a long span--therefore having less of a venturi affect than this building. Plus I had better direct visual angle when practicing than I will at this building--the soffit is about 150' above the ground, and I won't have access to the roof below it. I know the construction crews experienced winds accelerated to over 60mph when the "ambient" winds were only 10mph through this "wind tunnel"--so I'm hoping that the winds will be very light when I attempt this.

My best bet is to probably fly this manually in ATTI mode and not rely on waypoints, as I know I might lose most (if not all) GPS locks--and those "locks" I do maintain may be phantom signals bouncing around the metal building.

I'm expecting delivery of a Phantom 4 Pro before my scheduled shoot, and hope to use that.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 483
Lots of unknown factors here. ATTI mode will defiantly be the mode to fly as gps will be lost. Check your settings in regard to RTH function when or if signal is lost. you don't want it trying to rise to a safe height to return to home in a tunnel

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Yeah not really any good options for signal loss--though hover is probably the best but without GPS lock it will just drift with the wind.

Anyone know if the P4P will retrace flight in ATTI mode without GPS during RC signal loss?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As far as I am aware no drone can retrace its path in atti mode as it needs a gps signal lock to trace its path home. Atti mode needs the pilot to manual fly the drown back or at least to where it can re acquire a gps lock where it can then return.

As far as I am aware no drone can retrace its path in atti mode as it needs a gps signal lock to trace its path home. Atti mode needs the pilot to manual fly the drown back or at least to where it can re acquire a gps lock where it can then return.
Actually, my P3P will RTH in ATTI mode--I've tested this out by pressing the RTH button as well as turning off the RC. Obviously it had enough satellites to know its position. But it's nice to see that it stops drifting with the wind and holds position as it ascends just like it does in P-mode.

The reason I was asking about the P4P, is that manual doesn't say anything specifically, but the promotional videos show that it can retrace it's flight path using it's memory of the environment sensed with its 7 cameras. I'm just curious if this feature only works with a strong GPS signal or if having plenty of light is all that's needed. In theory, it would seem possible, that GPS is not needed.

The Inspire 2 will go back to its last known GPS spot if it loses lock. Not 100% about the P4p though.

However, if you loose lock, as long as your with in 50 ft or so of the ground, the VPS will do its best to keep you positioned.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Interesting... msinger, just answered on another thread that the P4P will simply land if it loses both GPS and RC. Looks like the I2 is a little more sophisticated in that regard.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik