Flying the Phantom 2V+ in high winds

Reaction score
I live in the Texas Panhandle, and honest to goodness, I do believe it is recognized at the windiest place on earth, so I need to learn how to fly in a bit of wind. When I took out my anemometer it was holding pretty much steady at 30 mph. I thought I'd shoot this video showing what its like in 30 + mph winds. You can tell by my clothes how bad the wind is and you can see the Phantom itself bouncing in and out of view while the gimbal held steady and did its job.

https://vimeo.com/99552822

Regards,
Joel

After about 8 minutes of flight I'm typically down in the 70% range, so I'm still getting pretty good time. I haven't made a longer than 10 minute flight yet and my battery hasn't dropped below 50% on any single flight.

Keep in mind that the max speed of the P2V+ is around 35mph. Wind speed increases with altitude, so if it is blowing 30 at the surface it could be well above that at less than 100 feet off the ground. When I fly in higher winds the first thing I do is go upwind at about 100 feet and switch to ATTI mode and let it drift with the wind to see how fast it is blowing higher up. I am also careful not to make long treks down wind and I keep a close eye on the battery.

I guess the only thing that could become an issue are unexpected 'gusts' of wind. If the wind is blowing 30mph and the poor thing gets clobbered by a 50mph gust, even momentarily, it could spell disaster...

try landing it :)

Just a note on catch landing in heavy winds..

Direction of wind || me looking at Phantom Battery || Phantom
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>_________ :)_______________ X ->

This is so a gust of wind will always push the phantom away from you.

Mako79 said:
try landing it :)

Just a note on catch landing in heavy winds..

Direction of wind || me looking at Phantom Battery || Phantom
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>_________ :)_______________ X ->

This is so a gust of wind will always push the phantom away from you.
Good advise, otherwise an unscheduled haircut may result... lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.