Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying the P2 at the race track

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by ianwood, Feb 27, 2014.

1. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

https://vimeo.com/87741779

First time shooting motorsports with the Phantom. Going to be a while before I get the moves worked out. But, not bad for only two batteries worth of shooting at the end of the day.

2. OI Photography

Very nice...the vid and the event! Is that your gorgeous dark red Elise?

Shooting motorsports is a challenge all its own, but if you love the track anyway it can be very rewarding. I'm guessing you get there as often as you can anyway, race-ready or not ;)

It looked like some of the cars there might run SCCA as well...?

3. skeeter

Mighty fine!

”from the perspective of an angry pigeon.” :lol:

4. EMCSQUAR

very nice...

5. SARC

Nice Ian. Your panning is getting pretty good !

I love Phantom videos when you see the shadow of the Phantom on the ground. Just adds a level of surreal to it

6. skeeter

The "Alfred Hitchcock cameo moment"

7. DesertFlyer53

Nice video! Can you give us details on what your camera setting were? What program do you use to post process?

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

The red Lotus belongs to my friend. (I am all BMW at the moment.) I actually didn't drive this time as it was a weekday and I had to work. So instead, I joined late and flew the Phantom. Being a private session, I was able to push the Phantom out past the pit wall and get some good shots. With a little more confidence in my FPV, I am hoping at the next one to get it beyond LOS to capture shots from the more interesting turns. This being the first time flying it with the track hot, I stayed just beyond LOS.

As for settings, I am shooting in 2.7K 30fps, medium FOV, ProTune, CAM RAW. Forgot the ND filter so shutter speed wasn't ideal. Not to mention some prop shadows and jello (gasp!) in a few shots.

As for workflow, I am chopping it up in GoPro Studio and then editing it in a 1080p24 project in FCPX. I don't conform the frame rate which slows them down to 80% which I find to be perfect. It's just enough of a slow down to look cinematic without looking like it's all in slow motion. And with 2.7k of resolution I have the option to down-res clips or to zoom or even to animate pans and zooms. Only one or two clips are stabilized. I don't like FCPX stabilization.

That's my current process. It's a work in progress. I may give Crumplepop a second chance in place of GoPro Studio. And once my self-imposed purchasing embargo ends in two weeks, I'll buy a white balance plugin and a noise filter plugin. FCPX is like the $100 printer that requires $400 of ink.

9. DesertFlyer53

Thanks for sharing. I have only shot in 1080p60 so far. My imac computer isn't really fast enough to handle anything bigger. I'm not a big fan of the slower frame rates as they seem to make the video jerky when you are panning. I also use GoPro studio to chop up the clips then import to FCPX, usually in 720p since most of my stuff just gets uploaded to Vimeo and I see no reason to use a higher quality. In fact, most of my friends view my video's on smart phones. No need for anything really higher than 480p for that. Funny, I like FCPX's stabilization!

https://vimeo.com/87367770
    You may have already seen this video as I have posted it here before. I was using wide FOV so the props come into view. I will switch to medium for the next one. Most of these clips were stabilized in FCPX which I think does a good job.

10. poostik

/thumbsup

11. Fink

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Fink[​IMG]