Flying the Apache Trail

Reaction score
This is from the past month of my flights Flying through Canyons and around rock formations along the Apache Trail in Arizona.

Filmed with: Phantom 2, GoPro 3+ Black
Comments are welcome. Enjoy watching. Thank you

The Apache Trail in Arizona was a stagecoach trail that ran through the Superstition Mountains. It was named the Apache Trail after the Indians who originally used this trail to move through the Superstition Mountains.
The Trail winds steeply through 40 miles (64 km) of rugged desert mountains, past deep reservoir lakes like Canyon Lake and Apache Lake. The narrow, winding road is unpaved from just east of the town of Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt Dam; there are steep cliff drops and little in the way of safety barriers.

[vimeo]120286278[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/120286278

I don't see the video. There's a big blank space where it should be. :?:

Marlin009 said:
I think the plugin doesn't display correctly if you are on mobile or some browsers https://vimeo.com/120286278

Thanks for letting me know

knuckles said:
Marlin009 said:
I think the plugin doesn't display correctly if you are on mobile or some browsers https://vimeo.com/120286278

Thanks for letting me know

Yep, using my ipad. Very cool. :cool:

I was walking this trail the other day, shortly after 8am with my wife - we love an early morning walk. All of a sudden we noticed this annoying buzzing and we observed this hoodlum flying his "drone" around spying on us. I walked up to him and gave him a piece of my mind. That thug only apologised to me twice but I told him...... that loutish behaviour should be illegal..... ;)

pilsburypie said:
I was walking this trail the other day, shortly after 8am with my wife - we love an early morning walk. All of a sudden we noticed this annoying buzzing and we observed this hoodlum flying his "drone" around spying on us. I walked up to him and gave him a piece of my mind. That thug only apologised to me twice but I told him...... that loutish behaviour should be illegal..... ;)
Good one.. lol thanks :mrgreen:

Great subject matter and nice editing to keep interesting shots, but in general the shots were too dark. Many of the clips would benefit from brightness increase. I assume you weren't using a neutral density filter.....maybe flying early or late. I also liked the time lapse intro, but I recommend skipping the takeoff.....just move straight to the aerial without making it obvious you're flying a Quadcopter. Just my recommendations.

RedRyderMedia said:
Great subject matter and nice editing to keep interesting shots, but in general the shots were too dark. Many of the clips would benefit from brightness increase. I assume you weren't using a neutral density filter.....maybe flying early or late. I also liked the time lapse intro, but I recommend skipping the takeoff.....just move straight to the aerial without making it obvious you're flying a Quadcopter. Just my recommendations.
Yeah I usually don't include the take off but I liked the cactus and the mountain in the background at that point so I left it in. I was flying mostly early morning or near sunset so I didn't have the benefit always of good lighting. I didn't want to increase the brightness to make it look too washed out. I may increase the brightness on that one section going through the small rock canyon with the stream. That probably was one of the darker parts as that was just about sunset. Thanks for the comments.

Nice footage! Everything was so green!

Beautiful country ... I wish you would have continued the video capture as you flew between that large vertical rock formation on left and the cliff on the right! I enjoyed it! Bob

motobob said:
Beautiful country ... I wish you would have continued the video capture as you flew between that large vertical rock formation on left and the cliff on the right! I enjoyed it! Bob
Yeah I had planned to fly between that large rock and the cliff when I had a sudden loss of FPV I mean nothing. That was a bit scary as I wasn't sure what was going on because I had line of sight to it about 1/4 mile away which should have been no problem and I had my antennas pointed at it. I thought for a couple of minutes I had a high risk of a crash because I didn't have orientation on direction and could have put it into the side of a rock. After a few minutes I was able to get FPV back and safely bring it back to me for landing. After reviewing the video I saw the place I had an issue was up from me on that mountain while I was lower. Though not blocking my line of sight lower on that mountain there was a rock formation 20-30 ft high between me and the quad. I can only think that it was blocking part of my FPV signal that caused that outage but I still had line of sight so it was strange.

RussA for the music I wanted something different than the usual ambient music I put with vids but it seems that most times when I try to do that at least someone mentions the music wasn't great. I probably will stick with the ambient type music for my future videos.

I'll also try to either fly when there's more light or film in ProTune where I think I will have more option of increasing brightness without loosing too much color. It's funny on my PC I notice some parts are a bit dark but when I play on my mobile device it looks much better.

I probably will do another compilation of flight clips like this over a period of time rather than a video of just one or two flights. Thanks for everyone's comments :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers