Flying straight

Reaction score
Hello
My phantom does not seem to fly in a straight line. Have props balanced but have to make minor adjustments to keep it going straight. Is that normal?

Thanks
David

Reactions: LWC1496
Did you do the RC Stick, IMU and Compass calibration?

In addition are all props DJI OEM?

Do calibrations. Been crashed?

Does it drift off a straight line both high speed and low speed?
All stock? Nothing addedto bird?

All calibrations were done properly and the imu was calibrated on a PERFECTLY level and validated surface?

Hello
My phantom does not seem to fly in a straight line. Have props balanced but have to make minor adjustments to keep it going straight. Is that normal?
A Phantom should be able to fly straight in wind.
If your Phantom flies a curve rather than a straight line, and it's not you causing it, it sounds a lot like compass problems.
The most likely cause is a bad compass calibration - one done in an area influenced by the magnetic field of a car, structural steel or reinforced concrete etc.

Happened to me once. Was definitely caused by flying near a bridge. Changed location no more problem.. So... My guess is like Meta4 said probably compass issue. Clean calibration should fix it or it could be the area you are flying..

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

What firmware are you on? There was tons of discussion about this with 1.4 firmware. Then 1.5 was supposed to address it. I'm current and I still have slanted drift if I fly forward or backwards very slightly on the stick. If I input stick more aggressively it doesn't happen but very slight on the stick it drifts almost in the wrong direction if it's breezy out. My opinion, dji has still not cured it.

Hello

Thanks
David

Are you flying ATTI or GPS Mode? Are you inputting rudder/aileron as you fly to adjust for wind? If the track in the photo is what you're talking about I'd say it looks pretty **** straight considering all the variables...

Untitled-1_zpswu6yy55a.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, that's my flight so I assume meant for me. The quoted part three me. Thank you for having a look. Relatively new so did not know how straight it should stay, I actually thought it was pretty good since there was som wind from the SSE hitting it. Thank you again

Reactions: gringorio
It'll drift if there is wind. The P3 doesn't lock into a straight line while in forward flight and the wind pushes it. If you stop it'll stay in one spot GPS locked. During flight, actual movement, it's just like ATTI mode.

Ok, that's my flight so I assume meant for me. The quoted part three me. Thank you for having a look. Relatively new so did not know how straight it should stay, I actually thought it was pretty good since there was some wind from the SSE hitting it. Thank you again
That's a distance of over a mile each way and it's pretty straight.
No sign of compass or other issues there.

To the OP, in case you meant something different then what the prior replies tried to answer... My P3's camera is misaligned slightly, so if I visually line up with a point of reference on the camera it won't fly a straight line to that reference when I just push the stick forward. It flies a straight line at an angle to the reference point.
I haven't tried to fix this issue yet, but there is a set screw that allows some adjustment on the clocking of the camera.

You have to fly the quadcopter to capture the camera image you want (or to fly the course you want). "When I just push the stick forward" ... Remember that you are *flying* a radio controlled quadcopter. You have to *fly* it to your "reference point" using rudder, aileron, elevator etc. when you "push the stick forward". It's not Phantom 4! Hahahahahahaha .....
Okay, just trying to clear something up for the OP in simple language in case he has a similar issue, not sure why you're telling me how to fly my P3 . I don't think you need a P4 to have your camera properly aligned to the flight axis.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic