Flying restrictions

Reaction score
Hi just a quick question as I've read many things that have contradicting information. What's that stance on flying over or near a stadium (football) or arenas if unoccupied (no game on)? I've seen multiply footage where snaps have been taken. Is this ok? I stress again when a game is not on.

If there is no active TFR (temporary flight restriction) per FAA rules you simply need to remain 500ft (in any direction) from any person, vehicle or structure. (FAR 91.119) assuming of course you would be at least 5nm from the nearest airport. The 500' clearance is waived during take-off and landing. Enjoy!

Reactions: Simmsy
Ask the security personnel at the stadium if you can have permission. It likely won't be a problem.

Ask the security personnel at the stadium if you can have permission. It likely won't be a problem.
Security won't have the jurisdiction to tell you if you can or can't fly. They don't own the place. Unless the owners have given them paperwork to show you.

Security won't have the jurisdiction to tell you if you can or can't fly. They don't own the place. Unless the owners have given them paperwork to show you.
I flew at the local fireworks display by first asking security for permission. I wasn't breaking any laws at that time, just as flying over an empty stadium is not breaking a law (unless, of course, there is a local law against it).

It may not work to ask for permission, but if it does, asking permission is the only way to do it and security people will likely be the only ones available with any authority at all.

As for ownership of the stadium, it depends on what stadium it is. Many are public buildings.

If there is no active TFR (temporary flight restriction) per FAA rules you simply need to remain 500ft (in any direction) from any person, vehicle or structure. (FAR 91.119) assuming of course you would be at least 5nm from the nearest airport. The 500' clearance is waived during take-off and landing. Enjoy!
Its not possible to stay under 400 feet AND a minimum altitude of 500 feet

If the stadium is not occupied and its not within 5 miles of an airport, have fun. Even the owner of a stadium doesn't own the air rights above it. Only the FAA can establish TFR or no fly zones.

Reactions: Simmsy
What JFHughes08088 said!
If there is no TFR, and empty it is fair game.
The 5 miles of an airport doesn't matter, you have to notify the tower / operator regardless - then fly, there is no permission needed. A few airports have other restrictions.

What if a game is going on and the team is really awful, like the Oakland Raiders or Tennessee Titans. The stadium would be pretty much empty then as well.

Think I read on the FAA site it says and hour before and an hour after the event is when the TFR is in use. But the site also says don't fly around people and stadiums. Doesn't specify when no event is going on.

What JFHughes08088 said!
If there is no TFR, and empty it is fair game.
The 5 miles of an airport doesn't matter, you have to notify the tower / operator regardless - then fly, there is no permission needed. A few airports have other restrictions.
True, but.................If within 5 miles of the airport and the tower (or manager) denies your request, no can do.

Question is has anybody ran into a circumstance where an airport has denied your request and if so what's there reasoning.

Mine haven't but I would think major ones (Philadelphia, Boston, LAX etc) would. Any no, they don't have to give you a reason.

Last edited:
What request? FAA says to notify, not ask permission. DJI is the only one requiring permission.

Remember, the airports don't own the airspace, the FAA does. The airport can't issue a TFR, the request one from the FAA.

And.....the air traffic controllers who make these decisions are employed by the FAA. So Christopher Glenn - boom! Mic drop.

What request? FAA says to notify, not ask permission. DJI is the only one requiring permission.

Remember, the airports don't own the airspace, the FAA does. The airport can't issue a TFR, the request one from the FAA.

And.....the air traffic controllers who make these decisions are employed by the FAA. So Christopher Glenn - boom! Mic drop.

Says someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Again, permission is not needed, only notification.

Why don't you "boom! Mic drop" us a link to ANY TFR that ANY air traffic controller has EVER issued regarding a UAV.

I wasn't able to get close to Gillette Stadium due to it being a NFZ.

Yeah....sure buddy....why don't you call LAX tower and just "inform" them you'll be flying your "Phantom 3" around so they just need to make sure the 747s keep an eye out. Please record the conversation after you "inform" them that you don't need their permission. It will be a good laugh.

Says someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Again, permission is not needed, only notification.

Why don't you "boom! Mic drop" us a link to ANY TFR that ANY air traffic controller has EVER issued regarding a UAV.

LAX is class B airspace. You are already not allowed to fly there, it has nothing to do with the ATC or a TFR. Just like calling the tower at DCA won't do much...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1