Flying restrictions in the UK

Reaction score
Morning

Not sure exactly where most of you folks are from but if your in the UK i would appreciate some advice on flying restrictions.

I purchased a Phantom Vision 2 having seem footage on youtube and the like of people flying all over the place and in and outside of congested built up areas. Its only now looking at the Civil Aviation Authority rules and regulation that I wonder if some of the flights i have seen recorded are with the laws of the UK CAA.

All you regular flyers both UK and US i am sure are aware of your own country's flying restrictions and my question is especially for the UK flyers do you always adhere to the UAV rules when flying and taking pictures or do you sometimes just sort of ignore a few of the rules and do things you are not supposed to do anyway just to get the good shot or video ????

I have attempted to contact the CAA, my local council and the police to get a clear view of the rules and authorisation if possible to shoot aerial pictures in my city centre of some of the older victorian buildings, I dont want people in the shot its the architecture i am interested in but so far everyone keeps sending me to the same long winded documents that pretty much mean i have no chance of using my Phantom within the city limits even if i start sunday morning before there are people in the city centre shopping or whatever.

No flying without authorisation :
 Over or within 150 metres of any congested area.
 Over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons.
 When not engaged in take-off or landing, within 50 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft (during take-off or landing this may be reduced to 30 metres or less if attendant persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft).

How do people get round these kind of restriction or are we all good little flyers who just stick to the rules.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Gavin

Morning

Not sure exactly where most of you folks are from but if your in the UK i would appreciate some advice on flying restrictions.

I purchased a Phantom Vision 2 having seem footage on youtube and the like of people flying all over the place and in and outside of congested built up areas. Its only now looking at the Civil Aviation Authority rules and regulation that I wonder if some of the flights i have seen recorded are with the laws of the UK CAA.

All you regular flyers both UK and US i am sure are aware of your own country's flying restrictions and my question is especially for the UK flyers do you always adhere to the UAV rules when flying and taking pictures or do you sometimes just sort of ignore a few of the rules and do things you are not supposed to do anyway just to get the good shot or video ????

I have attempted to contact the CAA, my local council and the police to get a clear view of the rules and authorisation if possible to shoot aerial pictures in my city centre of some of the older victorian buildings, I dont want people in the shot its the architecture i am interested in but so far everyone keeps sending me to the same long winded documents that pretty much mean i have no chance of using my Phantom within the city limits even if i start sunday morning before there are people in the city centre shopping or whatever.

No flying without authorisation :
 Over or within 150 metres of any congested area.
 Over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons.
 When not engaged in take-off or landing, within 50 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft (during take-off or landing this may be reduced to 30 metres or less if attendant persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft).

How do people get round these kind of restriction or are we all good little flyers who just stick to the rules.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Gavin
I think you understand the rules pretty well. They are not unique to the UK, it seems that most countries have similar rules which include keeping your craft within visual line of sight. It seems that the FAA will be going down that direction too.

You have seen many many videos of people filming in cities and towns, is it legal? no
What are the chances of getting caught and fined? minimal
Should you ignore the rules? only you can decide

Reactions: dirkclod
I think you understand the rules pretty well. They are not unique to the UK, it seems that most countries have similar rules which include keeping your craft within visual line of sight. It seems that the FAA will be going down that direction too.

You have seen many many videos of people filming in cities and towns, is it legal? no
What are the chances of getting caught and fined? minimal
Should you ignore the rules? only you can decide

I am sure its pointless but i will contract the CAA i think and see if i can apply for a exemption certificate of something, dont think i will have the experience or qualifications but what the hell lets give it a go

Nope no where near essex thankfully :) .. only joking its a lovely part of the country :)
:) Well I flagged that member and he will reply back at ya and you can't miss him cause he a Porky :D
You'll see ;)

I am sure its pointless but i will contract the CAA i think and see if i can apply for a exemption certificate of something, dont think i will have the experience or qualifications but what the hell lets give it a go
You are right about the pointlessness. Just in the same way if you contacted the local police and asked them if you could have an exemption to drive at 40mph in a 30 limit.

I doubt you will get a reply, they are overworked with backlogs of Permission to Fly for Aerial Work applications.

I stick to the rules. It's not just about the law but safety.

If anyone does flaunt the rules I doubt whether they would post it here :)

Reactions: Trumple
I doubt you will get a reply, they are overworked with backlogs of Permission to Fly for Aerial Work applications.

Good point i didn't think about it that way i just thought there maybe some clever little get around people employ whilst still keeping all safety aspects in place. Its such a shame there are great shots from within city limits from very small altitudes to be had.

Clearly, the more people ignore the rules the stricter they will become and then our hobby will be curtailed. Rules are rules. Have fun but poor pilot decisions affect us all.

I will admit to flaunting the rules. If I want to discharge my battery I will hover at 6 ft in my back garden for 10 minutes (2+ rules).
- I live in a village, so it is defined as congested,
- My neighbour's house is less than 50m away,
- My partner is indoors in my house, again less than 50m away.

I will admit to flaunting the rules. If I want to discharge my battery I will hover at 6 ft in my back garden for 10 minutes (2+ rules).
- I live in a village, so it is defined as congested,
- My neighbour's house is less than 50m away,
- My partner is indoors in my house, again less than 50m away.
That's not UAV flying, thats giving the daisies a blow dry :)

Reactions: landmannnn
The rules the CAA quote are for commercial use and do not apply to recreation model flying. The BMFA have guidelines to what you should or should not do. From 15-400ft is like no mans land and not controlled airspace unless close to airports or other no fly zones like royal houses.

MVIGS, you are quite wrong is all respects. As soon as you strap a camera onto a model aircraft, different rules apply. The OP is quite correct in that you cannot fly in a congested area unless you are qualified and have a permission to fly for aerial work.

The over ridding legislation says that your flight must be safe, more than 50M from any person or building, structure or vehicle not under your control and not over or within 150M of any congested area, which means where ever anybody lives, works or uses for recreation.

There is an international agreement that suggests that eventually most countries will end up with similar regulations.

Stick to flying over countryside and from permissive sites. Sorry, it's not as interesting to film, but at least you are legal :)

Reactions: IrishSights

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers