Flying question

Reaction score
I've only flown my new Phantom 2 a couple of times, and so far haven't tried to control the 'yaw' until I get more comfortable with basic flight. But I've watched several videos where it appears that while the copter is maintaining a straight flight, at the same time the copter is rotating. Is this just a matter of learning to coordinate the 2 sticks?

It depends on how it was done. You can be in atti mode and be flying with right stick, and release right stick with a little speed as it will not stop and hold position as with gps mode It will continue to drift and then use left stick only to make quad spin.

That is called Course Lock / Home lock flight. The method you stated is most likely the course lock mode.

If you have flown it right out of the box, you'll be in basic phantom mode. Dumbed down so it minimises trainer pilots from crashing.
If you wish to advance from this, you can plug the phantom into the PC/MAC and run the phantom assist and enable NAZA with IOC (intelligent orientation control) check box ticked. DJI suggest this mode after you have completed your training.

On your remote, IOC is the left toggle switch. OFF = top, MID = Course Lock, Bottom = Home Lock. These modes will change the flight behaviour and move the phantom in the direction of the right control stick and ignores which way the nose of the phantom is pointing.

To put simply, CL is grid like movement, HL is wheel shape movements. The HL mode will revert back to CL when the phantom is within 10m of home point (where you got sat lock).

Take advantage of HL mode when you have lost sight of the phantom. You can flick to HL and then pull the right stick back and it will come to you no matter which way the phantom is facing. I prefer this method over RTH/Failsafe.

Read up more about IOC.
And make sure that you take off with both s1 and s2 switches on the up position.

After looking more into CL, I'm wondering why it is considered "advanced". It would seem to be more fail-safe not having to worry about which way the copter/camera is turned, especially for beginners. Unless I'm missing something!

You may be mixing up Course lock with Home lock.

Course lock can be very confusing at first...

When you switch to course lock the quad will respond to the right stick relative to the take off position.

For example, your quad was facing North on take off but now in flight it is facing East, you enable Course lock, now when you push the right stick forward it will not fly East (forward) but rather (sideways) towards the North.

In home lock, pulling right stick down brings the quad back to you (take off point) no matter which way it is facing.

duceno1 said:
After looking more into CL, I'm wondering why it is considered "advanced". It would seem to be more fail-safe not having to worry about which way the copter/camera is turned, especially for beginners. Unless I'm missing something!

They did this to stop people from crashing.
Can you imagine the amount of phone calls DJI would get because people simply accidently left IOC on?
"Hey, I pushed fwd and it went sideways into a tree!"
"Hey, I pull the stick back and my phantom returns to me - sideways! It's the devil!"

Many are still struggling with basic orienteering :)
I think its smart that DJI have made it into an easter egg hunt to find the IOC mode. If you have researched and found out to activate it, then you are ready :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl