Flying Phantom in Cold Weather

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I lived in Minnesota where is the coldest state. Currently right now is 20F. I just received my PV+ and would like put her up in the air, but im wonder if weather effect the operation of my phantom. Anyone here experience flying during winter time? any advices would be helpful, Thanks.

Can anyone recommend gloves that keep your hands warm, can be used with a touchscreen smartphone, and have enough grip so the remote does not slide out of your hands?

Definitely check out the video msinger linked to.

Personally I have not flown in winter (yet), but here is a summary of some of the points in the video that stuck out to me:

1. Icing on the props.
I plan to fly in New Hampshire or Vermont where winters are cold and *dry*. I don't know what its like in Minnesota, but if its a wet cold (i.e. more humid), then you want to really watch out for icing. Also, he mentions being careful flying through fog in the winter.

2. Moisture in the gimbal.
This should probably be a concern any time of year, but with snow, ice, and melt (and slush from salted roads), I guess its even more of a concern in winter.
In the video, he says this could occur as a result of long grass. I speculate it could also be caused as the props spin up and blow snow, slush, etc around. So launch from a plastic sheet, or better yet, from the top of a carrying case.

3. Battery life shorter. Keep spare batteries warmer.
He suggests keeping spare batteries in your pocket, but I'd leave them in an idling car. In Northern Vermont (and I presume Minnesota), where it gets truly cold, pockets never really seem to be good enough to keep electronics warm.

4. Cold fingers.
Your from Minnesota. You don't need to be told how to keep your hands warm. :) Having said that, there are flying gloves like these:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... eady_.html
EDIT: ... or conductive gloves like these (for touch screens): http://www.backcountry.com/spyder-condu ... stop-glove

thanks msinger & erikgraham for good info. I will careful check everything before my flight

Keep the batteries warm until you fly and you should be ok.

Here in Norway we fly in temps down to -20/-25 degC without issues. Multis, FW and turbine jets.
One thing to be aware of is the condensation you get when you you take something cold into a warm house. The solution is to let it warm slowly in a basement or the trunk of your car until you take it inside or put some blankets around it.

angelabove said:
Hi Everyone, I lived in Minnesota where is the coldest state. Currently right now is 20F. I just received my PV+ and would like put her up in the air, but im wonder if weather effect the operation of my phantom. Anyone here experience flying during winter time? any advices would be helpful, Thanks.

From a fellow Minnesotan - flying in winter has a few challenges, shorter battery times in cold, wind at higher levels isn't as evident and flying over frozen lakes (Tx signal can reflect and cause erratic flight) Did this yesterday - our first snowfall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbIVUr ... skG18XvdBs

i get the skin tight gloves that allow you to use your phone..works like a charm .....if i get too cold, you can just open up the sunroof in the car and have the heat blast and duck your head back in once in a while ...ha

I am in North Dakota, and plan on flying mine today. The temperature is about 6F. I look forward to it! And about the cold and hands.. It is only a 15 min flight! It isn't -30 yet! Hands should survive.

*Edit- That flight was cold! But fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1