flying past limits in assistant

Reaction score
I have a P1 but this question will most likely apply other models as well. How can I fly past the limit set in assistant. I know the limit is from recorded home point. That would be controlled by the gps. Let say I wanted to follow the Phantom in a car or boat. Will switching to ATTI disregard this limit setting and let me keep flying. ?

Monte55 said:
I have a P1 but this question will most likely apply other models as well. How can I fly past the limit set in assistant. I know the limit is from recorded home point. That would be controlled by the gps. Let say I wanted to follow the Phantom in a car or boat. Will switching to ATTI disregard this limit setting and let me keep flying. ?

I don't know about the P1 assistant but in P2 assistant it's a user configurable setting... so just set the distance limit to 3000m or 5000m or 10000m and you won't ever hit the limit. voila! :)

I have my limits set to 15000' and I would just reset my home point to where I was at .
That is with mine and not sure about a P1 .
Really don't know if ATTI would disregard your set limit or not but would hope not .

dirkclod said:
Really don't know if ATTI would disregard your set limit or not but would hope not .

I don't think ATTI bypasses any limits. it certainly doesn't override the descent rate limit

QYV said:
dirkclod said:

I don't think ATTI bypasses any limits. it certainly doesn't override the descent rate limit
I know and I hate that to !! Would love to come down faster sometimes but not doing manual !

The P2-NV manual (v1.1,page 26) states that in "Ready-to-Fly, non-GPS mode" there's no distance limit but the height limit will be the maximum height set (in Assistant) or 120 meters which ever is LESS.

Never tried any of this so can't say more then the manual.

I think my limit max is 2000 meters. I have no restriction on how fast I can decend. I had thought of changing home point in the air but I doubt I would be able to see the led to confirm it took.

Couldn't you reset it and move off a little and try HL to see if it came back to that spot or am I way off with this one :?

Yeah, you could but if you were going down the road and not sure where the limit would hit you and didn't want to stop flying and doing video....kinna a pain in the arse at that point. I would like to have a video from the farmhouse I was raised in driving to town down the road two miles away. It would be much easier to do this in one take verses stopping and resetting home point . That would just create more editing.

QYV said:

Yeah I have suggested that too, but no response from DJI - to be able to configure descent rate in the Assistant in ATTI mode - even if it limited it to 2 or 3x the GPS limit, would be a big help.

The P2 limit vs. mode functionality is in the manual.

But the OP listed a P1. So is the P1 different?

Monte55 said:
Yeah, you could but if you were going down the road and not sure where the limit would hit you and didn't want to stop flying and doing video....kinna a pain in the arse at that point. I would like to have a video from the farmhouse I was raised in driving to town down the road two miles away. It would be much easier to do this in one take verses stopping and resetting home point . That would just create more editing.
Set your limit to 3 miles and go for it . Wouldn't that do it ?
I just went out and did try to set my home point off from me about 200' out and came back to me went into HL and it went to where I had reset it so I do know at least mine works . Hadn't tried it in awhile and the rain had stopped and was about to bust a gut to spin a prop so I just checked it :lol:

QYV said:
dirkclod said:

If being in ATTI disconnects gps, how would the Phantom know where it is? Decent speed is not governed by gps.

Monte55 said:
If being in ATTI disconnects gps, how would the Phantom know where it is? Decent speed is not governed by gps.

being in ATTI doesn't "disconnect GPS", it just stops a P2 from attempting to HOLD it's GPS position during a hover. my point was simply that ATTI doesn't override any set limits :)

Monte55 said:
What happens if you were following the quad and it hits its limit wall. Does it just hover?

I believe so. Is distance limit a user-configurable setting in your assistant software? I remember back when my Phantom was new I played with the height and distance limits, setting them very low (like 50m) to observe behavior and indeed it just wouldn't go any higher or farther once it hits the "invisible wall"

You absolutely have a better understanding of the documentation than me.. I've skimmed through it but not nearly as detailed as you, and you're always "citing your sources" so I absolutely respect you and that you back up what you say with docs. A lot of what I say has to do with my real world experience with myself and friends that have P2's.

I have absolutely been over 120m altitude in ATTI mode and seen other guys do it... however now that I think about it I'm not sure I've ever been below 120 and ascended through 120 while in ATTI.. I mostly use ATTI when I'm already at altitude and want to drift with wind or get somewhere faster with the extra tilt.

I also long ago set my distance limit to 3000m (which was my original suggestion to the OP regarding hitting that wall) after playing with the short limits as I described earlier so I basically never hit any boundaries.

Thanks. I edited my post above based on the info the bottom of the page so it now differs from the quote in QYV's last post.

I believe there's a chart covering all of this.

In Atti only the height is limited to what is set in the software.
In GPS height as well as distance.
In Manual no limits at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers