Flying P3A through fog/low clouds? Moisture?

Reaction score
Just curious if fog can damage the phantom with moisture getting in?

I want to fly through the fog and or low clouds to get pics and videos.

Just want to get your guy's opinion!

Thanks in Advance

The Phantom is not waterproof, so it's not a good idea.

Reactions: td619
So when you say wet, how wet? that was nice footage and has been on my mind to play around the fog.

So when you say wet, how wet? that was nice footage and has been on my mind to play around the fog.
Not visibly wet, but I noticed it when I picked it up it felt wet. I didn't feel the need to dry it off when I took it inside, but it was a surprise, given that that quad would have been at about 20c when I took it out to fly where the ambient temp was about 5c, so there was no chance of condensation on it from being colder than the outside temp.
Spent a full 15 minutes at full speed scooting across the top of the fog and rising and descending through it, so was operating at fairly high power most of the time, probably generating a fair amount of heat from the batteries and ESC's which would have probably prevented any internal condensation on the circuit boards.

I took it for another short flight of about 2 minute after I felt it wet without thinking, but all went perfectly.

I see there are quite a few shots of quads flying in and through fog floating around on the net. Can't say I would attempt to fly in any form of rain whatsoever, one raindrop inside when quad is powered up could have very unpredictable results.

Nice video, top tune.

I was surprised this was shot in WA, just north of Perth. Wow, it looks more like NSW.
200 acres of superannuation! A magic spot in the Chittering Valley adjacent to Lake Needonga which causes the fog.

At nearly 63 of age, The video was a great opportunity to fuse my love of Mozart with my late 60's, early 70's love of electronic/trance music. I couldn't think of a better fit for this video.

Reactions: MattyDread
I've done it numerous times. Yes, moisture does collect on the shell a bit, but I dry it off. Even thought the Phantom is not waterproof, it is moisture resistant according to DJI. I wouldn't fly in a storm, but I have flown in a snowstorm and fog and low lying clouds with no problems so far. It DOES produce great pics and footage!

I've flown in light "drizzle" in Seattle with no problem. I just wipe it down when I'm done and leave it in a warm area for the night.

Reactions: Sky King
If you want to make a habit of it, you may want to treat the internal components with a waterproofing compound. I believe the motors don't really care about the water, it's just the guts. Cameras on the other hand just don't like it, unless of course they are waterproof/resistant.

Great vid. I have done a couple above the clouds in Queensland and had some moisture on the shell. Hey did I see that car travelling backwards in the first scene? Or did you reverse the footage of the decent and post it as the ascent?

Great vid. I have done a couple above the clouds in Queensland and had some moisture on the shell. Hey did I see that car travelling backwards in the first scene? Or did you reverse the footage of the decent and post it as the ascent?
Hah, wondered if anyone would spot that, yeah I did reverse that bit of footage, wanted to synchronise with the rising music at that point, and adjusted the speed a bit in a few other clips, especially the pans.

I did it a few times and it came back very wet without any issue (did dry it asap)
The electronics are well insulated though, with conformal silicon coating. i.e. its moisture resistant for the most part.

Now...

- battery connectors are not moisture resistant, so you wanna make sure these are always clean (power failure = terrible crash)
- i dont know how reliable the coating is, albeit it seems pretty thorough. generally this waterproofs the electronics well
- the barometer is not fully coated, obviously
- the camera is not coated
- dji doesnt exactly sell this as a waterproof quad so its at your own risk, and it could fail some day

Nice video, that's risky but really creative.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20