Flying P2V in rain or snow

Reaction score
It's snowing. Would make for some great shots, but I just can't bring myself to send the P2V up in the air.

I did send my Phantom 1 up, it seemed to do fine.

The P2V though, with the camera so exposed, doesn't seem like it's going to handle getting wet quite as well. It'd probably be fine, but I don't want to risk it.

Any opinions on flying in light snow or rain?

Thanks ;).

Yea, that's what I did with the Phantom 1, a quick sortie.

Rain I'd never really do, just tossed that in there.

If it was a GoPro on the Phantom 1, I'd be confident.. but not with the P2V's camera and it's exposed sd card slot and such.

I can't do it.. I just can't.. but I want to... ;p. Oh well.

I went out on a foggy evening flight and from about 60 feet up, had a sudden drop to the pavement! I would likely a guess the props took on too much water. The camera bounced off of the bracket and broke one prop but other than my pride, nothing was damaged. So to answer your question.. no I would not advise of flying in any sort of humidity over about 80 percent!

Funny you should start this thread, I was wondering about the same!

This is a video of my first (and only flight),and I thought I was going to ask you guys if it was "OK" :p I made the flight in very light snow, light in every sense of the word. Basically snowing powder here, so I figured the air from the props would blow the snow away. I was, however, concerned about icing on the props, but I guess that occurs mostly in cold, foggy weather, yeah? Anyway the flight, albeit short, was perfect. Everything just works and i cant wait till my next flight. At touchdown the Phantom was a little wet though, so I guess I wouldn't recommend it, even in this kind of light snow.

Anyway, here's the link. Nothing special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xsdloxkqM

Mav456 said:
What about the motors? Look at all that exposed copper won't it short out and rust?

Supposedly brushless motors are near water-proof, at least water resistant. Water isn't as good of a conductor as people generally believe, especially fresh water. Salt or other minerals added to the water make it conductive.

I saw a video on Vimeo of guys flying in real heavy snow, but that was /w Phantom 1 and GoPro.

In many other cases, I see the motors getting wet, no troubles.

Nice video! Guess we all got some snow, I just got in from flying around looking at the view in my snowed in neighborhood. It is still 15F outside, so while the Phantom did fine, it was a bit chilly for me ;p.

While we're swapping videos ;p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtBefB9RxRk[/youtube]

dbcch said:
Mav456 said:
What about the motors? Look at all that exposed copper won't it short out and rust?

And Copper doesn't rust :)

It might not rust, but it WILL corrode. Ever see that geen stuff on an outdoor connection?

Be careful out there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20