Flying over Water.

Reaction score
What are the do's and do nots about flying over water? I just lost my P3S two days ago and it is now at the bottom of the local lake. Does water absorb radio signals or does it bounce the remote control signal? I can not honestly tell you why it went into lost signal and auto landing, all I have left now is the controller and iPad Air. thanks for your advice.

Under normal conditions it should be fine, I do it almost daily.
I've been concerned when there have been 3ft waves but have never had a problem.
Can you upload your flight log to Healthydrones so we can take a look

I am still trying to find the file to upload, just having a hard time finding it to be honest.

Never had a problem flying over water. I find the rc signal is actually better and can fly even further.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You will get more answers on the following thread:

Flying Over Water - Questions

In short you will have following while flying over water:

1. Transmission signal loss increases with moisture. If you are flying at heights of 300' or so, you will not notice any effect

2. VPS system goes crazy if it's on and you fly low

3. There is no place to auto land in case of emergency, you got be be careful about the battery remaining charge any time

4. You may see high winds over open waters, be careful. It's advised to start flying against the wind so that return is favorable.

5. It's observed that one can get good range over water as there is low interference of signals.

Last edited:
How far away was it? Because it sounds like you are saying it auto landed in lake when signal lost. It should have returned to home.
A) Unless home point not set
B) You where closer than 100ft (lands in place)
C) Failsafe set to land in place.
D) You took off from water and therefore homepoint was over water.
If you where <100ft away. It could be interference.

How far away was it? Because it sounds like you are saying it auto landed in lake when signal lost. It should have returned to home.
A) Unless home point not set
B) You where closer than 100ft (lands in place)
C) Failsafe set to land in place.
D) You took off from water and therefore homepoint was over water.
If you where <100ft away. It could be interference.
My first thought was 'C' but all are relevant.

Slightly off topic. Does flying over water void DJI warranty? I recalled reading a post (here or on DJI's forum) that DJI claimed flying over water voids warranty.

I fly over water ( lakes/ oceans ) a lot , should have nothing to do with a signal loss and auto land , sounds like the home point didn't get recorded or wasn't set. Like others have said I find the best range is over water...

It makes it very diffixult ro retreive your aircraft flight log making warranty arguments tricky in some cases
Slightly off topic. Does flying over water void DJI warranty? I recalled reading a post (here or on DJI's forum) that DJI claimed flying over water voids warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers