Flying Over Water

Reaction score
Flying over water is always a bit nerve racking, but I did this flight to document some habitat loss on Lake Poygan, Wisconsin

Last edited:
That was just stunning, very brave taking it over that big stretch of water.

I think my favourite shots were the pointing straight down ones, amazing colours and textures, and going out across the water looks awesome too.

Think I need to fly mine a lot more before I will feel confident enought to go out over water like that, I have a canal next to the small field I am flying mine in at the moment, and worry if it ventures out across that. P

Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you for the feedback. I am uncomfortable flying over water, and doubly so when I am taking off and landing from a boat. Flight time was about 40 minutes with three battery changes to be safe. So three take offs and landings from the boat.

Very cool images. At times I thought I was looking at abstract art. Well done! Would have been even better one minute shorter ;)

Saw a wee bit of yaw twitching and, well, I'm guilty of that too. Perfectly beautiful shot ruined messing with yaw.

Yikes, never launched from a boat but getting braver about flying over water. Have a shoot on Wednesday over a lake. Hope the footage turns out half as good as yours. :)

Thanks Beeline. I agree, the video could have been shorter, but I wanted to get a good view of the whole area for those that are working with me on projects out there. If it was solely for a general audience I would have made it shorter.

Flying over water is great, as long as you can accept the fact that one day you might be standing there with a remote and nothing else. :roll:

I like the high perspective views that shows the organic nature of the habitat.
rstekeur said:
Flying over water is great, as long as you can accept the fact that one day you might be standing there with a remote and nothing else. :roll:

This is a very true statement. I too enjoy flying over water and consciously accept the fact that it may be my last flight with this bird. Maybe it is the danger of the mission that drives me. About 60% of my video summary clips for 2014 involves water. http://youtu.be/SyIk_nJXkQ4

rstekeur said:

Living in Hawaii, I can attest to that. Unless I get myself a waterproof one lol

Yes, you have to accept the risks. I think I would still have a good cry if hit the lake though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj