Flying Over Water - Questions

Good question, I would like to know the answer as well.

Don't wreck ,if you do take it apart wipe it all down with rubbing alcohol after with a hair dryer or air hose then soak in white rice for 5 days

1. Disable VPS - it gets disoriented over water
2. Check the winds direction. If going with the wind, coming back will take a significant longer time, so make sure you have enough charge with your battery.
3. Check the wind, yes again- if it is too strong - you may not be able to get it back.
4. Know how to fly in Atti mode - sometimes you will need the extra speed it provides
5. Be careful of seagulls. they are known to dive onto phantoms

I just flew this morning and used normal settings....it did take longer to get back

1. Disable VPS - it gets disoriented over water
2. Check the winds direction. If going with the wind, coming back will take a significant longer time, so make sure you have enough charge with your battery.
3. Check the wind, yes again- if it is too strong - you may not be able to get it back.
4. Know how to fly in Atti mode - sometimes you will need the extra speed it provides
5. Be careful of seagulls. they are known to dive onto phantoms

Foosy, you are right on point with each of your comments, especially 1, 2/3, and 4! I would add, if you crash in salt water, just leave it for Captain Nemo...

This applies to big water and distance, where you cant get it back,,,,,,
Be prepared to lose it, much bigger chance of not getting it back
Get one of those neck straps, so when your hands start shaking uncontrollably ,you can SHAKE IT OFF :rolleyes: ,,,Yes really ;)
I'v never taken the VPS off( not saying its right or wrong,just,, I have never done it).
Depending on where your flying,,,Reset you return to home altitude. When I fly over water(the beach) I set it for 40'. The reason is ,,,if theres a problem and RTH is activated ,I dont need it or want it climbing to 100' first ,then descending from 100'.You can save a minute or 2(Just my opinion )
If your going for distance,,,,Play the wind,it makes a BIG difference on distance traveled.
Did I say ,,,,Be prepared to lose it?:D

Reactions: Mike Mauk
This applies to big water and distance, where you cant get it back,,,,,,
Be prepared to lose it, much bigger chance of not getting it back
Get one of those neck straps, so when your hands start shaking uncontrollably ,you can SHAKE IT OFF :rolleyes: ,,,Yes really ;)
I'v never taken the VPS off( not saying its right or wrong,just,, I have never done it).
Depending on where your flying,,,Reset you return to home altitude. When I fly over water(the beach) I set it for 40'. The reason is ,,,if theres a problem and RTH is activated ,I dont need it or want it climbing to 100' first ,then descending from 100'.You can save a minute or 2(Just my opinion )
If your going for distance,,,,Play the wind,it makes a BIG difference on distance traveled.
Did I say ,,,,Be prepared to lose it?:D
YOU DID:D:D:D

I've heard those don't work so well, nor would it support the weight of a sinking Phantom. I'm looking for a solutions as well as I'll be taking mine out in open water
:D:D:D:D God Job-- they earn it :):):)

VPS wouldn't make a bit of difference even if it did work over water unless you are flying VERY low over the water, which you do at your own risk irrespective of VPS. I fly over water all the time, and make no special adjustments. The wind advice is just good advice generally, not just for water. Simply remedy is, when possible, to fly "out" into the wind, and fly back with a tailwind.

Reactions: Viral
Plan your flight, including wind direction and speed, landmarks and turn around parameters.

:harry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic