Flying over water doesn't matter.

Reaction score
A lot of us have been worried about flying over water. Many hours spent trying to figure out how to make a Phantom waterproof or at least float.
I fly over water all the time. I fly over the edge of cliffs, I fly over busy roads and I fly high. If I do something wrong, or my Phantom fails, it will fall and crash (sink, get run over, smash into a hundred bits). So it doesn't really mater if I'm over water or not. Shying away from water excludes you from getting some of the most spectacular footage available to you.
My Phantom 2 V+ will not fall, it will not fly away, it will not crash into trees or buildings because I will not allow it to. Simple as that. So, when you take your Phantom out (assuming you know what you're doing) just FLY! Do not allow yourself to think it might fall, concentrate on getting the shots you want and enjoy the fact you are part of a small group people on the cutting edge of aerial photography.

Plus 1
Ive never understood that myself. If your at a decent height over land it will wreck your Phantom just as bad hitting the ground as water damage would do as you mentioned.

I'm much more comfortable flying over water than land. At first it make me nervous but I got use to it. No trees, buildings or people to worry about. I'd rather lose my Phantom in the lake than risk damaging someone else's property or crashing into a populated area.

Come on newer guys (I'm still a noob), tell us how you feel. Everyone (including me) has been worried about loosing your bird in the water at one time, but we all get over it with practice. Share your thoughts.

Doono said:
Come on newer guys (I'm still a noob), tell us how you feel. Everyone (including me) has been worried about loosing your bird in the water at one time, but we all get over it with practice. Share your thoughts.

Well, I'm going to spend the next 2 days at the sea, to make pictures over water. First time! I'm scared to death but I'm going to do it anyway. See you on the other side...

Well, once you're certain that your Phantom 2/Vision isn't prone to the "sudden battery failure" that others have posted about.
then it's not so dangerous so long as you don't push the limits.

Gizmo3000 said:
Well, once you're certain that your Phantom 2/Vision isn't prone to the "sudden battery failure" that others have posted about.
then it's not so dangerous so long as you don't push the limits.

Good point.

Only had the phantom for about a month now and probably about 40% of the flights I've had have been over water.

As mentioned about the first time you are always a little wary, after that though I didn't give it any more thought just done it. Like you said if something goes wrong you are more than likely coming down from a bit of a distance so land or water, it doesn't really matter :)

The big difference is, it's much harder to recover a Phantom in (potentially deep) water, than it is to recover it if it hits the ground 5 feet away from you. And at least it's possible to salvage things in a crash on land (perhaps some of the parts might be intact/replaceable).

My palms sweat less and less each time I'm out, over water or wherever. I don't think I'll ever get completely over it but I'm less stressed now than in the beginning. :)

Woody said:
I'm much more comfortable flying over water than land. At first it make me nervous but I got use to it. No trees, buildings or people to worry about. I'd rather lose my Phantom in the lake than risk damaging someone else's property or crashing into a populated area.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Plus the over water footage is so visually appealing.

The only thing I worry about is a bird running in to my Phantom.

AndysAdventures said:

I'm always on edge with this. Seen too many bird attack videos that resulted in phantom casualties.
I've had a few occasions where birds were getting REALLY close but didn't attack. Had one this weekend. He kept circling my copter. I got a few cool clips out of it. Glad he didn't "attack".

canadavenyc said:
The big difference is, it's much harder to recover a Phantom in (potentially deep) water, than it is to recover it if it hits the ground 5 feet away from you. And at least it's possible to salvage things in a crash on land (perhaps some of the parts might be intact/replaceable).

Only had one good opportunity to fly over water with it so far and this was definitively the cause for my hesitation. And it's not just salvaging parts , but getting my footage! I've accepted a long time ago that maybe something terrible could go wrong and my phantom might fall out of the sky, but there's definitely going to be some silver lining in the footage!

AndysAdventures said:
Woody said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Plus the over water footage is so visually appealing.

I've had several "you've invaded my airspace" warnings that were to close for comfort!

canadavenyc said:

If there's anything to salvage, we're talking about $200 maybe $300. I wouldn't like to restrict my hobby to land only, for that amount of money. Just say'n.....

canadavenyc said:

exactly..+1...I do not have an indispensable income to replace all...but I can certainly replace broken parts...I will never fly over water for a sustained period of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav