Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying over the new Braves Stadium being built in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by tclark333, Feb 3, 2016.

1. tclark333

Took my P3A up over the new Atlanta Braves stadium that's under construction right now in Cobb County. I know you're not supposed to fly over stadiums, but that doesn't count when it's being built, right?!? I tried to get there early (8AM) on a Sunday morning, but there were still more workers than I thought already going at it. Not sure if anyone noticed me or not, but I didn't want to get too close. By the way, I'm kind of new at this, so I was definitely trying to be careful to avoid all the cranes!

ftttu, DirtyHarry, scottbra9 and 3 others like this.
  2. TidewaterGibson

good music choice! Welcome to the community!

Timothy Irvin likes this.
  3. Jmkadk

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

4. smclark21

Great video! I live in Atlanta so I'm using your footage to pick out my seats. Enjoy your new Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. Zotmurse

Dude this is AWESOME! can't wait for spring....

6. atlphantompilot

I would like to get a shot like this of the new falcons stadium being built. I live on the south side of Atlanta flying my p3a

7. tclark333

I've been wanting to get down there and film that too, but if you get there first, make sure you post your video so we can see!

8. atlphantompilot

I just realized that the Falcons stadium is right in a no fly zone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

9. Sterling

Absolutely awesome footage, never do it again.

Dobbins AFB is less than 3 miles from that site. Not only are you violating the 5 mile airport rule but you're doing it with an active Air Force base...

I hate it when people tell others that they're breaking the rules because usually the OP knows it and accepts it and doesn't want people badgering them about it, but I had to say something since its a AFB. Just under 5 miles near an airport? Fine no big deal, but flying <3 miles away from an AFB should really be avoided for safety reasons.

Love the video, but really, stay away from Dobbins. (Also noticed your youtube video is monetized if i'm not mistaken, that's technically not allowed as its using the footage for commercial use) Yeah its complete bull crap but just letting you know the FAA COULD come after you for it... thats before they realize how close to Dobbins you were. Again, its absurd I know and I usually wouldn't bring it up at all, but I suggest not drawing attention to that video because of the dobbins thing 0.0.

Not trying to be a hard-***, really, I know the current rules are pretty bad, just alerting you because I don't want you getting chewed out by the FAA.

10. tclark333

I know a couple of ATC comm techs that work on that base and through them talked to a controller who didn't care. I was staying low anyway. According to the new rule, you can fly 400 ft above a structure. But to be careful I checked and the controller said they weren't expecting any traffic at that time period.

Didn't know about the youtube monetized thing. I'll try to turn that off since I'm not trying to make any money on anything - just sharing my experience.

11. bLaStErAiD

Good video man, don't let the "drone minuteman" discourage you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using PhantomPilots mobile app

12. tclark333

13. Sterling

Didn't know you talked to anyone, if so, have fun!

Just making sure people know there's an AFB around it so others don't get in trouble.