Flying Over People

Reaction score
I heard a reading of the FAA part 107 law regarding flying over people. My understanding from hearing it is that a drone may not fly in a situation in which if there were a failure, the drone would fall and possibly strike a person not a part of the mission.

If a person is protected within a STATIONARY vehicle, then that's ok, but that implies that there may not be the risk of a drone striking a MOVING vehicle.

So....does that mean a drone may not legally fly over a busy highway or street? Even in crossing or attempting to cross a street if there is a failure a drone could strike a moving vehicle.

I heard a reading of the FAA part 107 law regarding flying over people. My understanding from hearing it is that a drone may not fly in a situation in which if there were a failure, the drone would fall and possibly strike a person not a part of the mission.

If a person is protected within a STATIONARY vehicle, then that's ok, but that implies that there may not be the risk of a drone striking a MOVING vehicle.

So....does that mean a drone may not legally fly over a busy highway or street? Even in crossing or attempting to cross a street if there is a failure a drone could strike a moving vehicle.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

See below. Doesn't this mean you can't fly across a busy highway? It would be almost impossible to fly across a freeway in LA without being over a moving vehicle at some point.

From "Know Before You Fly":
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.

See below. Doesn't this mean you can't fly across a busy highway? It would be almost impossible to fly across a freeway in LA without being over a moving vehicle at some point.

From "Know Before You Fly":
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
Yes it means you can't fly over any busy roadway. Basically the FAA wants you to keep it in the line of sight and don't fly it over busy streets or over people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan