Flying on a Boat

Reaction score
So I took off on a pontoon boat, someone was driving the boat while I was flying it, until it just stopped and couldn't go any further than this point. I had perfect signal and everything, the drone just thought that I was back where I took off but in reality I was right next to it, so it wouldn't let me go any further. I think it has something to do with the set home point on take-off. Can someone help me prevent this?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I believe it is the max distance parameter that you would need to change in the DJI Go App settings..I would assume you traveled that distance away from the home point you set at takeoff

Yes I think you are right, but isn't there a maximum distance that the app will allow you to put in or can you just put it as high as you want?

So I took off on a pontoon boat, someone was driving the boat while I was flying it, until it just stopped and couldn't go any further than this point. I had perfect signal and everything, the drone just thought that I was back where I took off but in reality I was right next to it, so it wouldn't let me go any further. I think it has something to do with the set home point on take-off. Can someone help me prevent this?
It sounds like there's limit set in the app and it's hit that.
Without a limit, the Phantom will go until there's no signal.
The app has user configurable limits for max distance and max height.
It would be easy to investigate by uploading your flight record to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and see what that shows.

The way to prevent this is:
1. make sure there is no limit set
2. update your home point a few times during the flight.
Use the Phantom's current location (or the controller's location) from time to time so that you don't have smart RTH sending the Phantom back toward the launch point when it thinks it's getting close to needing to go all the way back there.

Reactions: RodPad
I have done step #2 that @Meta4 many times. Toggle the flight mode switch like 6 times to set a new home point (can also do it in the app)

It sounds like there's limit set in the app and it's hit that.
Without a limit, the Phantom will go until there's no signal.
The app has user configurable limits for max distance and max height.
It would be easy to investigate by uploading your flight record to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and see what that shows.

The way to prevent this is:
1. make sure there is no limit set
2. update your home point a few times during the flight.
Use the Phantom's current location (or the controller's location) from time to time so that you don't have smart RTH sending the Phantom back toward the launch point when it thinks it's getting close to needing to go all the way back there.

Thanks for the response. For me when I go in the app, it doesn't let me type in anything higher than 500m, so I may just have to do the updating home point thing. Is there any way that I can do it fairly quickly? (Without going in the app)

Thanks for the response. For me when I go in the app, it doesn't let me type in anything higher than 500m, so I may just have to do the updating home point thing. Is there any way that I can do it fairly quickly? (Without going in the app)
You don't need to put a higher number in.
You need to disable the max distance limit.
You will have to have the phantom connected when you do this as the setting is stored in the phantom, not the ap

I don't fly the Standard so I'm not sure but post #5 above sounds good. Check the manual to be sure.

You should do both - not just one.
When you are out on the water, one mistake can be your last (at least with that Phantom)

Here's the setting you want to disable:

DJI-GO-Maximum-Distance.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik