Flying on a boat

Reaction score
I'm going away with work later in the year on a cruise ship and the media team have asked if I'll take my P3P for some social footage.

Clearly I won't be able to film when the ship is moving but has anyone else don't anything similar before? Concerned about things like radar interfering with the P3..

Thanks
Dan.

I work on cruise ships, they have now been banned from our ships so can no longer fly it off it sadly :(

The ship does interfere with the GPS, I had to take off from one of the wooden tables on deck. I also nearly lost my bird at one point as suddenly it got a GPS error and started flying by its self (moments before it had 17 satellites), but I just flicked the switch and flew it manually until it regained signal. I was able to land it how ever with no problems, and had three flights like this.

The thing about ships, the way they're "earthed" they give off very strong electromagnetic signals, plus the fact their a massive metal object, you just have to be careful. Regarding Radars, when you are docked all radars will be turned off but I think my interferance came from the TV/Internet satellites.

I may be crazy but as long as we were moving slow enough I did really want to try and get a shot while we were cruising, but due to insurance policies and other such stuff I got told I can no longer fly it from ship. And even security are a bit dodgy when I bring it back on, even being crew.

I'm going away with work later in the year on a cruise ship and the media team have asked if I'll take my P3P for some social footage.
Clearly I won't be able to film when the ship is moving but has anyone else don't anything similar before? Concerned about things like radar interfering with the P3.
There have been a lot of reports lately of cruise lines not allowing passengers to bring drones aboard even for use when ashore.
Contact your cruise line to find out their policy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub