Flying off sideways at full speed.....?

Reaction score
Have had my phantom 2 now for a week and was on my 9th flight. I was about 40 miles from where I have previously been flying so thought I better do a compass orientation.
Got the green flashing light so took off and hovered about 20 feet away on a beach, and then without any input from myself the phantom took off at about 70 degrees at full speed.
I had to crash it to get the land and managed to crash at about 2 feet away from the sea, did some serious damage to Gimbal and the GoPro and broke every rota blade.
The only thing that is different is that I have fitted FPV system but have had had two previous flights without any problems using that.
Have managed to replace rotorblades and got it flying again but it hovers for a minute or so then hooks off at speed to the left or right and I have to crash it before it flies away.
Anyone please help....???

Does RTH not work if you put it in failsafe or turn off the TX?

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Does RTH not work if you put it in failsafe or turn off the TX?

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Don't get a chance to get that far, if I'm honest I don't want to fly more than 10 feet high while it's doing this in case it get a fly away.
Mrs was less than pleased when she found out how much it all cost when bought it, I dear tell and I've trashed the Gimbal and GoPro already.

I don't know but if maybe a motor failed it might exhibit this behaviour? E.g a bearing seized after a short warm up? Were any of the motors hot or have a stiffer feel when turned? Im guessing really.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
I don't know but if maybe a motor failed it might exhibit this behaviour? E.g a bearing seized after a short warm up? Were any of the motors hot or have a stiffer feel when turned? Im guessing really.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

No, they all seem to be fine. Not sure where to go from here. The place I bought it from are not interested so this place is my last hope really.
I appreciate you taking your time to try and help me

Have you checked your IMU and done a calibration?. After a crash always check the IMU values are within range.

xgeek said:
Have you checked your IMU and done a calibration?. After a crash always check the IMU values are within range.

I'm guessing you're talking about the phantom assist software..? I have plugged it in, but not really sure what I'm looking at.
If you could be a bit more specific that would be really helpful thank you.

Firemonkey68 said:
xgeek said:

I'm guessing you're talking about the phantom assist software..? I have plugged it in, but not really sure what I'm looking at.
If you could be a bit more specific that would be really helpful thank you.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/jTqyQC0bgxk[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/jTqyQC0bgxk

Need to know the steps taken before the crash. The configuration of the Phantom both hardware and software. Calibrations, etc. What was the environment of the take off area, flight area. Flying before crash, what have you noticed that may about the way it flies?

ianwood said:
Need to know the steps taken before the crash. The configuration of the Phantom both hardware and software. Calibrations, etc. What was the environment of the take off area, flight area. Flying before crash, what have you noticed that may about the way it flies?

Phantom started flashing red and yellow when I switched it on instead of the red and green as it normal does.
I thought the I needed to do the compass dance because I was about 40 miles from home so I flicked the right hand switch up down several times and did the dance until the green light flashed t say it had compass lock.
Took off and hovered about 20 feet away from me but without me touching the controller it took off about 70 degrees on its side at full speed.
This is a short video of what it's doing after replaced its propellers.

Any suggestions welcomed

Firemonkey68 said:
ianwood said:
Phantom started flashing red and yellow when I switched it on instead of the red and green as it normal does.
I thought the I needed to do the compass dance because I was about 40 miles from home so I flicked the right hand switch up down several times and did the dance until the green light flashed t say it had compass lock.
Took off and hovered about 20 feet away from me but without me touching the controller it took off about 70 degrees on its side at full speed.

Any suggestions welcomed

Where did you do the compass calibration and can you describe exactly how you did it? What is the mod value for the compass in the Phantom Assistant?

You may have the wifi on the gopro turned on. That could cause erratic behavior. Need to make sure it's tuned off while flying.

loganfilm said:
You may have the wifi on the gopro turned on. That could cause erratic behavior. Need to make sure it's tuned off while flying.

No the wifi was off at the time,

ianwood said:
Firemonkey68 said:
ianwood said:

Any suggestions welcomed

Where did you do the compass calibration and can you describe exactly how you did it? What is the mod value for the compass in the Phantom Assistant?

I flicked the top right-hand switch up and down several times until the yellow LED was solid, I then turned Phantom at arms length horizontally to the LED started flashing green. I did the same but with the phantom nosedown both times it was arm's-length and turning in a clockwise direction.

Firemonkey68 said:
Have had my phantom 2 now for a week and was on my 9th flight. I was about 40 miles from where I have previously been flying so thought I better do a compass orientation.
Got the green flashing light so took off and hovered about 20 feet away on a beach, and then without any input from myself the phantom took off at about 70 degrees at full speed.
I had to crash it to get the land and managed to crash at about 2 feet away from the sea, did some serious damage to Gimbal and the GoPro and broke every rota blade.
The only thing that is different is that I have fitted FPV system but have had had two previous flights without any problems using that.
Have managed to replace rotorblades and got it flying again but it hovers for a minute or so then hooks off at speed to the left or right and I have to crash it before it flies away.

It's actually a good thing if it does this consistently. That gives you the chance to do some real troubleshooting.
Note that you can do all of these actions right up front, but if it fixes it, you won't know what was causing the issue. If you really don't care, and just want it to fly, do all this first.

- make sure you have the latest firmware load (not expecting that to cause this)
- I'd power down any FPV transmitter and try it. Not likely an issue, but if it started this after installing FPV, I'd want to eliminate it.
- test in GPS, ATTI and manual modes. If you're not confident hovering in manual, you can skip that.
- I'd set up my mode switch to allow you to switch to Failsafe. I'd want to see if it will RTH when it starts acting wonky. That will tell me if the NAZA is generally functioning.
- do an advanced cal on the NAZA.
- check your compass in the Assistant and make sure your readings are correct.
- I couldn't tell from the video, but was the Phantom spinning like a top as it ran away? A failed motor / ESD connection would probably cause it to cork screw as it flys away.

These are some of the checks I'd try.

kenny0008 said:
Firemonkey68 said:

It's actually a good thing if it does this consistently. That gives you the chance to do some real troubleshooting.
Note that you can do all of these actions right up front, but if it fixes it, you won't know what was causing the issue. If you really don't care, and just want it to fly, do all this first.

- make sure you have the latest firmware load (not expecting that to cause this)
- I'd power down any FPV transmitter and try it. Not likely an issue, but if it started this after installing FPV, I'd want to eliminate it.
- test in GPS, ATTI and manual modes. If you're not confident hovering in manual, you can skip that.
- I'd set up my mode switch to allow you to switch to Failsafe. I'd want to see if it will RTH when it starts acting wonky. That will tell me if the NAZA is generally functioning.
- do an advanced cal on the NAZA.
- check your compass in the Assistant and make sure your readings are correct.
- I couldn't tell from the video, but was the Phantom spinning like a top as it ran away? A failed motor / ESD connection would probably cause it to cork screw as it flys away.

These are some of the checks I'd try.

Thanks you for your reply, I'm sure you have sussed this but I'm new to all this and on a steep learning curve.I'm not sure
I'm not sure what the advanced cal on the NAZA is or how to do it.
I have activated the ioc and used the RTH a few times before I got the FPV.
I have now taken all the FPV off now and done cal on the IMU, wasn't sure if I did right thing. Plugged the phantom in MAC and hit the Advanced calabration button, this is the figures once i done that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 10.08.36.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 10.08.36.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 464
I'm guessing you have recalibrated the compass after the incident?

Does the behavior change any when you go into ATTI mode?

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Did the LEDs go back to normal at the end of the compass calibration? They need to not be solid green so you know it's complete. Describe the environment where you did the calibration. And the environment where took off.

Your mod value looks low. If you cannot get it closer to 1,600 you will likely need to degauss the compass. But, you need to confirm where you calibrated it first. Was it in the middle of a field? A parking lot? Where and what was in the immediate area?

ianwood said:
Did the LEDs go back to normal at the end of the compass calibration? They need to not be solid green so you know it's complete. Describe the environment where you did the calibration. And the environment where took off.

Your mod value looks low. If you cannot get it closer to 1,600 you will likely need to degauss the compass. But, you need to confirm where you calibrated it first. Was it in the middle of a field? A parking lot? Where and what was in the immediate area?

I agree the mod value looks off. Compass out of cal seems to cause strange behavior.

Maybe he could video his compass dance so we can see what he sees?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers