Flying near the Verrazano Bridge?

Reaction score
Actually just to the south of it. I'm trying to get some video / photos of a cruise ship and would like to get the bridge and city in the background. I thought I could take off from this point......Google Maps

And fly to the south east. I can't tell if that is a state park, a CG station or something else? Its does not come up in any no fly zones I can find

Thanks

Just be careful. There are signs installed post 9-11 that prohibit photography of the bridge, so don't get too close.

Just be careful. There are signs installed post 9-11 that prohibit photography of the bridge, so don't get too close.

Thanks, from what I have read its no photography ON the bridge. Which is kind of a joke, I know 2-3 people who drive over it at least once a week and who use dashboard video cameras

I plan to record right around here....Google Maps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.47.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 5.47.34 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 589
SFRA area. Look it up. Must have 2 way radio comma.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Funny I drive over and under the bridge daily...would love to see the flight!.....but don't the cruise ships leave Friday mornings through the weekend.....like 5 or 6am?

Funny I drive over and under the bridge daily...would love to see the flight!.....but don't the cruise ships leave Friday mornings through the weekend.....like 5 or 6am?

The return about 5-6am. NCL leaves the Manhattan cruise terminal at 4pm usaually Saturday or Sunday. I think the Breakaway leaves Sunday doing the Bermuda Cruise and the Gem leaves Saturday making the Florida run. My friends are on the Breakaway on a special 9 day cruise leaving Friday July 1st....don't think I'll be going up there then, I'll be working. I'm not sure about the RC cruises out of NJ

Doesn't appear to be
there is a crap ton of helipads and smaller airfields (e.g. Fort Hamilton) as well as a NFZ on most of SI east shore (park). I would be careful as there is often loads of low flying helis on the lower and upper bay. The DJI app doesnt list many NFZs - hover is better for a check. That being said, if you dont fly high or stupid or take off from a park . . .

there is a crap ton of helipads and smaller airfields (e.g. Fort Hamilton) as well as a NFZ on most of SI east shore (park). I would be careful as there is often loads of low flying helis on the lower and upper bay. The DJI app doesnt list many NFZs - hover is better for a check. That being said, if you dont fly high or stupid or take off from a park . . .

I'll be between 100ft-150ft at the most, I figure if I'm not any higher than the ship I'll be fine. Its all a mute point since I won't be going anyway :(

The FAA has the Hudson River and East River Exclusion zones Class B exclusion zones, in which VFR aircraft can operate. Considered together, they are known as a “Special Flight Rules Area”, or SFRA.

It extends in the north on the Hudson River to the Alpine Tower, then down to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and for the most part includes the entire river, shore to shore. It begins at 0 feet and extends to 999 feet for local operations. 1000- 1299 is for Transient aircraft. Above 1300 and you are in the Class-B NY airspace.

Part of the rules for operating here, and there are many, are two-way communications to self-report your location, heading and altitude. You must also have a current Terminal Area Chart for NYC. In addition, most of this area are close to many heliports scattered about, requiring normal notification procedures.

You can find a lot more information here: Special Flight Rules in the Vicinity of New York City

And here: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2010/Nov/48447/kneeboard.pdf

The entire South Side of the Verrazano Narrows is surrounded by part of Gateway National Recreation Area, and drone operations are prohibited.

From my perspective, and please do not take this as “legal advice”, but the only way to operate by the rules and fly near the Verrazano Bridge is the following:

· On the east side (Bay Ridge Brooklyn) Park in the small parking area off the Southbound Belt Parkway, just to the North of the Verrazono Bridge. The SFRA extends from the shoreline, you should take off as close to the shoreline as possible.

· Using two way communications, announce your location, altitude, direction of flight and intentions on a frequency of 123.05

· Stay below 400 feet AGL.

Good luck!

Reactions: FASTFJR
The FAA has the Hudson River and East River Exclusion zones Class B exclusion zones, in which VFR aircraft can operate. Considered together, they are known as a “Special Flight Rules Area”, or SFRA.

It extends in the north on the Hudson River to the Alpine Tower, then down to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and for the most part includes the entire river, shore to shore. It begins at 0 feet and extends to 999 feet for local operations. 1000- 1299 is for Transient aircraft. Above 1300 and you are in the Class-B NY airspace.

Part of the rules for operating here, and there are many, are two-way communications to self-report your location, heading and altitude. You must also have a current Terminal Area Chart for NYC. In addition, most of this area are close to many heliports scattered about, requiring normal notification procedures.

You can find a lot more information here: Special Flight Rules in the Vicinity of New York City

And here: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2010/Nov/48447/kneeboard.pdf

The entire South Side of the Verrazano Narrows is surrounded by part of Gateway National Recreation Area, and drone operations are prohibited.

From my perspective, and please do not take this as “legal advice”, but the only way to operate by the rules and fly near the Verrazano Bridge is the following:

· On the east side (Bay Ridge Brooklyn) Park in the small parking area off the Southbound Belt Parkway, just to the North of the Verrazono Bridge. The SFRA extends from the shoreline, you should take off as close to the shoreline as possible.

· Using two way communications, announce your location, altitude, direction of flight and intentions on a frequency of 123.05

· Stay below 400 feet AGL.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info even if it was bad news

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1