Flying near the steel and crash

Reaction score
Yesterday there was a ceremony at our shipyard. I fly the P3P indoor. It was making small moves by itself when it was first take off. I thought it is because can not connect to GPS. I was flying at P-Atti mode. Firmware is 1.1.9. DJi Pilot App 1.2 with iphone 6, ios 8.4. Then it stabilized itself and I adjust the view, start the recording. After a while it was all good, I looked to the bird for checking (at sec. 7) and it was stable. After my check the bird went to its right at hit to the boat and fell down. Two propellers broken, battery out, rest is looks fine. I changed the props, put the battery back and bird not started again. Battery shows only one solid led when I want to start it. It was full charged. I changed the battery and bird started but it says compass error. After the ceremony finished I put the drone outside and calibrate the compass it worked fine. Gimbal was tilted and I calibrated it also. Now everything is working, I was lucky. I uploaded the flight log .txt file to healthydrones.com and the data shows really bad compass errors as attached pic. I know flying aroun this much steel will not a good idea but it is my job. Do you have any suggestions, what should i do next time? Here is the video for your investigation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 387
What you just described is a recipe for disaster with anything that depends on a compass. Sounds like you need a bird that can go full manual so you don't have to worry about sensors going haywire and messing with the flight. But then, you'd have to worry about flying manually and shooting. I dunno man, tough one.

I have had issues trying to launch my Phantom 3 from a bridge and from a parking garage.

At the bridge DJI Pilot kept showing compass error, likely due to all of the metal, and possibly because of high power lines nearby. So I didn't fly from that spot.

The other day, I tried to launch from the top floor of a parking garage. Again I got a compass error. I put the Phantom on top of a concrete post about 3 feet high and it gave me the GPS, Safe to Fly notification. I was able to take off and fly beyond the garage.

My sense is large metal objects interfere with the compass mechanism and there may not be a solution other than, don't fly, or fly in ATTI mode.

When I started drone it says ready to take off, safe to fly. Than it get 8-9 satellites sometimes, sometimes 6 satellites and no Gps mode. The all bad movements happened after take off, during flying. Flying in Atti mode will cancel the GPS, but I will have compass error issue anyway, right?

When I started drone it says ready to take off, safe to fly. Than it get 8-9 satellites sometimes, sometimes 6 satellites and no Gps mode. The all bad movements happened after take off, during flying. Flying in Atti mode will cancel the GPS, but I will have compass error issue anyway, right?
correct, ATTI does not ignore the compass readings. And make sure VPS is enabled.

correct, ATTI does not ignore the compass readings. And make sure VPS is enabled.
And it appears from the manual you must be in P-GPS mode for VPS to work.

And it appears from the manual you must be in P-GPS mode for VPS to work.
Nah, that's not right. VPS kicks in when you don't have sufficient GPS signal, ie, indoors. It switches to P-OPTI automatically.

Nah, that's not right. VPS kicks in when you don't have sufficient GPS signal, ie, indoors. It switches to P-OPTI automatically.

Wrong dude. From the manual about Atti:

"A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft only uses
its barometer. The aircraft can still automatically return to the home point if the control signal is lost and
the Home Point was recorded successfully"

That's why I use P-GPS mode indoors.

One other point P-Atti mode is not the same as flipping switch to Atti. The latter does not arbitrarily switch back to P-GPS mode when it 'thinks' it's sensors are operating correctly. Always take control yourself by flipping the switch, then you don't need to worry about GPS/Compass fluctuations that may cause you to crash your bird. Tip- learn to fly in raw ATTI!

Wrong dude. From the manual about Atti:

"A-mode (Attitude): GPS and Vision Positioning System are not used for stabilization. The aircraft only uses
its barometer. The aircraft can still automatically return to the home point if the control signal is lost and
the Home Point was recorded successfully"

That's why I use P-GPS mode indoors.
I see the discrepancy. I was referring to P-ATTI. So we're both right. Ok, back to work ;)

Reactions: snowghost
I see the discrepancy. I was referring to P-ATTI. So we're both right. Ok, back to work ;)

Yeah it can be confusing. :confused:

My crashed battery gives that error. When I push long to start it, only first led light show up. When I push longer to check battery life it gives 4 full leds green. but it does not start up and not charged. Trying to charge it gives also first led error. What can I do?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bird is working fine with other batteries. But this battery is not working. İt gives this error. So what should i do with this battery

Bird is working fine with other batteries. But this battery is not working. İt gives this error. So what should i do with this battery

Just take the battery out of service..

You will have to put it down to being a casualty of the crash - although harsh to lose the battery you just cannot trust it to function properly.

(Just imagine how you will feel if you damage your phantom further as a result of another crash whilst using that battery)

Just take the battery out of service..

You will have to put it down to being a casualty of the crash - although harsh to lose the battery you just cannot trust it to function properly.

(Just imagine how you will feel if you damage your phantom further as a result of another crash whilst using that battery)
Or Worse:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic