Flying near radio station? Yay or nay?

Reaction score
So guys a local radio station here recently contacted me asking if I would come and take some picture of the station for them,I don't mind doing it one bit,but I'm worried that the radio antenna would mess with my phantoms signal....So what's yalls thoughts/suggestions on this?

I had a 4 battery session right next door to K-ROQ in Los Angeles this weekend. They are starting a huge real estate development and i was brought in to help with some mapping, but i was there for about 1.5 hours flying and pretty close to the antennae and i did not have any issues.

I was skeptical at first so flew my first battery no higher than about 200feet in altitude and by the 3rd battery i was pushing 400 feet and getting pretty close. I should have some video edited in a day or so.

Should not be a problem unless they have a transmitter on nearly the same frequency.
Have fun and go for it.
BTW, $1,000 per minute flight time.

Thanks guys,it's a smaller radio station compared to what one in Los Anglos would be,so I don't think frequency would be a problem.Haha,I'm not charging them any thing,but they did offer my choice free tickets to the FedEx forum this summer(concert/event arena in Memphis).I just like helping out the local community,and it also helps get my name out there in case I do want to start doing it for money...@eckomer I'll be sure to check it out aswell.

I would say nay. If you do, be prepared (If not already) to fly in atti. then manual mode.

CasualObserver said:
Jacob said:
I would say nay. If you do, be prepared (If not already) to fly in atti. then manual mode.

Based upon many of your responses you have very little, if any, practical experience flying a Phantom is various environments.

How much experience do you really have?

Why do you imagine that ylying near a radio station/antennae would affect GPS vs. the control signal?

None. The biggest problem is avoiding the guy-wires.

SteveMann said:
CasualObserver said:
Jacob said:

Based upon many of your responses you have very little, if any, practical experience flying a Phantom is various environments.

Why do you imagine that ylying near a radio station/antennae would affect GPS vs. the control signal?

None. The biggest problem is avoiding the guy-wires.
I had thought of this aswell,but the station is plenty out of the way of the wires.theres a good acre of unobstructable room to take off/land.Im in a small country town so there's loads of empty space lol :D

CasualObserver said:
Jacob said:

I'm not going to fall into your bait to start a debate. I think many members know my experience level. I created this account when I became admin. I have been on this forum for over 2 years with hundreds of posts.

Just check the Dji manual and public statements, they don't recommend it.

Flown mine close to an FM transmitter with another digital TV transmitter a further 2 miles away with no problems. All respect to Jacob but.. your wrong. There will be no problems in the 2.4Ghz and 5.7Ghz range.

Also the amount of misinformed crap in general posted on the forums is surprising.

Reactions: TeamYankee
packetlos said:
Flown mine close to an FM transmitter with another digital TV transmitter a further 2 miles away with no problems. All respect to Jacob but.. your wrong. There will be no problems in the 2.4Ghz and 5.7Ghz range.

Also the amount of misinformed crap in general posted on the forums is surprising.
Thank you,and guys I didn't mean for this to go into a argument about it.Will post back with results if it ever quits raining here lol.

I was not referring to the tower causing GPS issues. When you switch to atti. mode, it lessens the reliance on the compass which can be easily interfered with.

There was another small discussion about this a few months back. http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29587&start=0

A couple people claimed to have problems after getting too close to the tower, including possible loss of GPS signal. Obviously other people have done it with out problem, but there is nothing wrong with approaching it cautiously. I don't know what the station is like that you will be filming, I live in a large-ish city, and most of the actual high power transmitters/antennas are actually located several miles away from the radio stations on top of a mountain peak.

I have flown very close to radio station antennae quite a few times shaking in my boots.

This is my expereince

My friend lives up Laurel Canyon and his backyard is next door to one of the highest peaks in Los Angeles. With a P1V.1.1 about 2 years ago i made many flights from his backyard which was about 100 yards from one of the largest radio antenna in Los Angeles
no problems at all but i was shaking and sweating waiting for something to happen but it was all good.

And as i wrote earlier ....just 2 days ago i did a job that was right next to one of LA's largest radio stations and i was weiry and cautious but it went just fine.

My advice is if you have no reason to fly next to radio station antennae dont do it! I have had 2 flyaways over 3 years and i still cant explain them so you never know and its always best to try and mitigate as many potententialy negative variables as possible

CasualObserver said:
Jacob said:
I was not referring to the tower causing GPS issues. When you switch to atti. mode, it lessens the reliance on the compass which can be easily interfered with.

No. You simply don't know what you are trying to post about.

In both GPS and ATTI mode the Phantom uses the compass to determine the direction that the craft is facing. The compass is used equally in both modes and switching to ATTI mode does not "lessen the reliance on the compass." Not at all.

Furthermore, while the compass can be easily interfered with during start up due to ferromagnetic interference at the takeoff point, the compass cannot be easily interfered with while in the air. Especially not while flying near a radio station.

Thanks for chiming in and attempting to provide useful feedback but saying someone does not know what they are trying to post about typically will lead to a piss match. If thats what you were looking for have at it, but if you were sincerely attempting to assist you may want to soften your tact!

just sayin! lol

There's some debate about the original author and verbage, but [basically speaking]...

..."Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

N017RW said:
There's some debate about the original author and verbage, but [basically speaking]...

..."Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Attachments

• I said that !!.jpg
    I said that !!.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 398
Off topic here,but Im not on the site everyday,and Just read the post about Adam selling the site,sad to see him go,but welcome Jacob.Youve gained a great community that has helped me numerous times in the past.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj