Flying near a school

Reaction score
Hey folks - I got a job taking a school picture - of all the students! Thinking about using the P4 to take the picture. It's my understanding that it is not illegal to fly near schools - just you're supposed to be careful. Anyone know the deets on this rule?

The best thing for you to do is get the "deets" (or details) from the FAA website directly.

Rob, if you're getting paid for this you're supposed to have your FAR 107 certificate, just sayin...

Hey folks - I got a job taking a school picture - of all the students! Thinking about using the P4 to take the picture. It's my understanding that it is not illegal to fly near schools - just you're supposed to be careful. Anyone know the deets on this rule?
-
I think the traditional way is to just stand on a ladder. You'll get better pictures if you have a good camera - it's less trouble and probably safer too.

I know of no restriction specific to schools, if you are taking off/landing on school property or flying over people (i.e. Students/Faculty) you would need permission from school officials. Since you are doing this subject to a 'contract' with the school, you're covered there. However, since this is commercial drone use, you must have a Part 107 cert. and FAA waiver for overflight of people (if you are not flying over them, you don't need the waiver, just operate with extreme caution if flying in the vicinity.) Personally, I would not take such a contract without carrying adequate liability insurance.

I know of no restriction specific to schools, if you are taking off/landing on school property or flying over people (i.e. Students/Faculty) you would need permission from school officials. Since you are doing this subject to a 'contract' with the school, you're covered there. However, since this is commercial drone use, you must have a Part 107 cert. and FAA waiver for overflight of people (if you are not flying over them, you don't need the waiver, just operate with extreme caution if flying in the vicinity.) Personally, I would not take such a contract without carrying adequate liability insurance.
I've got all my ducks in a row. Thinking about some prop guards - but from what I've read they're not the greatest solution.

I've never gone into prop guards and I'm not knocking anyone who does...but IMHO it's better to know how to control your bird, be always aware of your surroundings and never do anything that has the potential of putting others, yourself or your bird in jeopardy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl