Flying my Phantom 3 Professional in the wind.

Reaction score
Hi chaps I have a quick question I'm wondering if someone can answer. I have just bought my 1st drone the p3p. I've only had one very short 5 min test flight to test it at a local field. I'm very cautious about taking it out in any wind and I'm wondering what wind speed to keep below if flying. I'm going to purchase a wind speed hand held device but would love to know what the highest wind speeds you would take yours out in to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Start with little or no wind while you get used to flying, then work your way up. Everyone's comfort zone is different

I dont worry about it unless its over 20 mph, strongest I have flown in was 30 mph with 40 gusts, highly suggest learning to hand catch with those kind of wind speeds tho. The P3P is very able to handle the wind.

Reactions: JBG
Thanks chaps. I live in north east uk (Sunderland) so I don't get many days if any with practically no wind so now I know I'm safe under 20 mph it gives me something to work to. Thanks again.

Reactions: HueJorgan
Thanks chaps. I live in north east uk (Sunderland) so I don't get many days if any with practically no wind so now I know I'm safe under 20 mph it gives me something to work to. Thanks again.

Owdoo bud I'm from Sunderland originally now live in Durham welcome

Download the UAV Forecast app, it's a good indicator as too whether it's safe to fly or not.

I dont worry about it unless its over 20 mph, strongest I have flown in was 30 mph with 40 gusts, highly suggest learning to hand catch with those kind of wind speeds tho. The P3P is very able to handle the wind.

15ft altitude is not a good height to reference from about wind speed. We have real world 30+mph wind here. No way you would survive it especially with the recent big speed reduction.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Download the UAV Forecast app, it's a good indicator as too whether it's safe to fly or not.
You can go into the settings and change all the indicators to your liking. For example I dont mind a little cloud cover, so I changed it in the app.

The Phantom is easily able to handle winds of 20+ mph but if you are new I'd recommend 15 or less for peace of mind. Take off with a bit of space around in case a wind gust catches her before she stabilizes. Also note winds aloft are often higher than at ground level. Make sure you have good satellite lock as in ATTI mode she will drift away quickly! I virtually always land but in extreme gusty wind conditions I will pluck her out of the air if I can't get setup for a smooth landing.

A tip for flying long distance on windy days: Always begin your missions heading INTO the wind. That way when the flight computer calculates your battery level has reached the point to return you'll have plenty of reserve for the trip home with the wind at the Phantom's back.

Hi chaps I have a quick question I'm wondering if someone can answer. I have just bought my 1st drone the p3p. I've only had one very short 5 min test flight to test it at a local field. I'm very cautious about taking it out in any wind and I'm wondering what wind speed to keep below if flying. I'm going to purchase a wind speed hand held device but would love to know what the highest wind speeds you would take yours out in to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Thanks lads just downloaded that app and it looks mint.

You manual tells you 10m/s wind which equates to approx 20mph. It is hard to predict the wind at higher levels as already mentioned above. It a matter of building your own competence to what is comfortable for you. Remember it is your own responsibility to judge whether you can complete your flight safely. It is not worth taking chances unless you can afford to fund the consequences.
Keep in mind that App are a general guide and may not give accurate information in your actual location.

The Phantom is easily able to handle winds of 20+ mph

So does "easily" mean anything other then flying into a 20+ mph headwind? Or "easily" meaning tailwind preferred?

I meant easily as in flight stability. Obviously forward momentum will be reduced when flying directly into a 20 mph, but you'll be hauling *** on the way home! :cool:

You know I'm just giving you a hard time. But I do not see any part of easy with a P3 fitted with the most recent updates.

I have posted this method of estimating wind speed several times, but it also seems appropriate for this thread, too:

Attachments

• FLAG.jpg
    FLAG.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 836
  • WindSpeed.jpeg
    WindSpeed.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:
I have 1.6 with battery updates. Flew yesterday in 20mph wind at 40 F. No issue at all, even when battery was 30% and coming back to land (33mph).

I would like more information from DJI on the update's effect on speed, and what parameters need to be present in order for the speed restrictions to kick in. I haven't seen any, though I did notice slower acceleration since updating.

I've read some posts about dramatic speed reductions under certain circumstances, but I have not been able to duplicate. I am being leery and only flying away parallel to, or into the wind until I get some definitive answers. I'd hate to be fighting a 20 mph headwind with only 16 mph of speed available. I'd also like to know if ATTI mode would help in that situation, as ATTI mode has previously allowed faster air speeds.

I have 1.6 with battery updates. Flew yesterday in 20mph wind at 40 F. No issue at all, even when battery was 30% and coming back to land (33mph).

I would like more information from DJI on the update's effect on speed, and what parameters need to be present in order for the speed restrictions to kick in. I haven't seen any, though I did notice slower acceleration since updating.

I've read some posts about dramatic speed reductions under certain circumstances, but I have not been able to duplicate. I am being leery and only flying away parallel to, or into the wind until I get some definitive answers. I'd hate to be fighting a 20 mph headwind with only 16 mph of speed available. I'd also like to know if ATTI mode would help in that situation, as ATTI mode has previously allowed faster air speeds.

I would love to know more info from DJI on these changes. It just doesn't work like that at all. If you want to know something, you have to research on your own to learn anything about it. I have a hard time waiting for answers. Especially when it is for answers that should not have questions being asked to begin with.

This morning I have been looking over a little older flight logs at the battery characteristics. What I find is the data displays a more active battery then what they are now. And the facts are, we never had problems the batteries, except recently. I always had some speculation the current smart batteries. As we know, the batteries are costly. One of the most easiest thing to do would be to set the software so the batteries show needing replaced sooner then need to be. Before the smart battery showed up, the batteries we used appeared to have no problem going 400-500 flights before replacement. Then part of the smart battery software was enabled and it then looked like we would be lucky to get 175 flights per each battery.

So....someone somewhere has put a great deal of time and effect into these smart batteries. And that someone has told the investor that these batteries will work as suggested by the someone to the investor. And now we have seen more of the smart batteries software put into play, a communication error between the smart battery and the P3, appeared. Rather then disabling the smart battery and fixing it in the proper manner, a jacked up Band-Ade was placed in the mix. And then some even more jacked up setting changes have been put in the mix.

The result.....a Phantom 3 with a top speed of roughly 21mph or 9.4mps. :eek:

Reactions: DrJoe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj