Flying international with P3s

Reaction score
I know that there are other threads, but most of them seem like a year old.

On Friday, I'm flying to Brazil with my P3S, and am just wondering what to expect with TSA. Normally I wouldn't bring something like this there, but the opportunity to take amazing aerial footage is worth the risk. I have a hard shell backpack similar to the one DJI makes which would be my carry on.

Question- do I really have to fully discharge both batteries like it says in the DJI manual?

Should I keep the batteries in the little slots in the backpack or keep them in a separate bag which I carry on in the plane.

From what I read, you can carry on the drone and batteries in the case as a carry-on.

All batteries must go in the cabin with you, NEVER in the cargo hold with checked bags. Check your airlines rules as they vary as to what is allowed onboard the aircraft (size, weight limitations). The batteries should not be fully charged when transporting them.

Brazil - Home

Regulations: According to Brazil's National Civil Aviation Administration and the Air Force, current rules forbid the operation of UAVs over Brazilian cities.

Pending Regulations: On September 2nd 2015, Brazilian civil aviation authorities released proposed rules for UAVs and model aircraft. The public was invited to comment on the proposed rules. The new regulations are expected to come into force before the 2016 Olympic Games. Under the proposed regulatory system, UAVs would be divided into three weight classes: Class 1, with weights greater than 150kg, Class 2, with weights between 150kg and 25kg, and Class 3, with weights at or under 25kg. Class 1 and Class 2 flights would be subject to varying degrees of licensing, registration, and reporting requirements. Class 3 operations would be restricted to altitudes under 400 feet, a limit lowered 200 feet in populated areas. Class 3 UAVs could not be operated at a distance of less than 30 meters from a non-consenting person. Operators of any sized UAV will be required to have insurance, and must be over the age of 18. Operators of model aircraft would be exempt from some of the restrictions. Law enforcement authorities will be charged with responding to UAVs which "invade privacy" or conduct illicit activities.

All batteries must go in the cabin with you, NEVER in the cargo hold with checked bags. Check your airlines rules as they vary as to what is allowed onboard the aircraft (size, weight limitations). The batteries should not be fully charged when transporting them.

Brazil - Home

Regulations: According to Brazil's National Civil Aviation Administration and the Air Force, current rules forbid the operation of UAVs over Brazilian cities.

Pending Regulations: On September 2nd 2015, Brazilian civil aviation authorities released proposed rules for UAVs and model aircraft. The public was invited to comment on the proposed rules. The new regulations are expected to come into force before the 2016 Olympic Games. Under the proposed regulatory system, UAVs would be divided into three weight classes: Class 1, with weights greater than 150kg, Class 2, with weights between 150kg and 25kg, and Class 3, with weights at or under 25kg. Class 1 and Class 2 flights would be subject to varying degrees of licensing, registration, and reporting requirements. Class 3 operations would be restricted to altitudes under 400 feet, a limit lowered 200 feet in populated areas. Class 3 UAVs could not be operated at a distance of less than 30 meters from a non-consenting person. Operators of any sized UAV will be required to have insurance, and must be over the age of 18. Operators of model aircraft would be exempt from some of the restrictions. Law enforcement authorities will be charged with responding to UAVs which "invade privacy" or conduct illicit activities.

I have a really hard time taking this whole insurance thing seriously thing, considering that a lot of people drive vehicles there without insurance.

Also, make sure you DO NOT fully discharge your batteries. (Partial is ok, 50~60% maybe). Sometimes, TSA might ask you to power on a device (laptop, tablet, phone, drone, etc) to make sure it is what it looks like and not a suspicious object. Also, fully discharging LiPos is terrible for their 'health'.

Well, I made it through the gates, no hassles. Was hoping to use the P3s on the patio of my building, but only got safe to fly non gps. There's way too many buildings, so I'm not risking a drifting fly away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1