Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying inside a warehouse

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by BMDTV, Jun 14, 2015.

1. BMDTV

I am looking for advice flying in a warehouse, as I have several hours flight time, outdoors only. I need to get a flyover of inventory in a very large warehouse with high ceilings. I am using the Phantom 3 Pro with Pilot app on the Nvidia Shield. It works great outdoors. Is there a complete list of controller and/or app settings, etc. available for indoor flight? Any advice & tips are much appreciated. Thank You

2. Kman

Just make sure VPS is on.

3. Milan53

I have been flying mine in a large hangar. It works fine but frequently does not have GPS. You will have to hand fly it most of the time if you exceed the vision positioning system height. Sometimes I will get GPS lock when about 15-20 feet from the roof. My one STRONG word of caution is the return to home feature. Do not let the RTH feature activate inside! Mine did when battery got low and before I could cancel it the P3 ascended to 70' and hit the roof! I was hitting down throttle the whole time (confirmed in flight record) but it seems that when RTH is initiated, altitude can only be controlled once it first ascends to the set height. I did a few subsequent field tests and it seems that RTH can be cancelled at any time but altitude can't be controlled until it reaches set height. It came tumbling down and I luckily (but not gracefully) broke the fall by "catching" it. No damage except that the blade sliced right through my fingernail and cut me up pretty good! I was trailing blood but thankfully not P3 parts!!!

Mal_PV2_Ireland likes this.
  4. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Clench bum cheeks and you should be good to go. Don't fly too close to the edges, compose your shots, don't yaw. And squeeze bum cheeks again. I'm doing a job in a cathedral that is over 900 years old in 2 weeks time, it's a big privilage and after a few years of flying im still nervous as hell to do this job. I know I can do it but don't bite off more than you can chew

5. Milan53

Yes, I agree, lots of clenching!

6. UKFlyer

Or you can set you RTH to 0.

snowghost likes this.
  7. Brianroberts

I've flown our P3 in our shop with 16ft ceilings over 12ft moving robots with out any issue so far. It might be just me, but P-Opti seems to let the quad drift a little more after a menuever before it steadidss, but we've got some awesome shots of our equipment getting g the quad really close in tight spots inside. Your millage may vary. Also: prop guards prop guards prop guards. We have bumped them into fencing and a column on a couple occasions. Without them, they would result in crashes. With them it's a complete non issues.

8. Milan53

I can't get my RTH set less than 20m for some reason. Any advice?

9. Brianroberts

Can't you just change the failsafe mode from RTH to just land? Don't have my P3 with me to check.

10. Milan53

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. But I could not adjust the failsafe altitude below 20 meters for some reason.

11. The Phantom

Can the maximum altitude be adjusted in the P3, if yes what is the maximum altitude it can be adjusted to?

12. Mal_PV2_Ireland

500m height max

13. BMc

BMc

I actually prefer VPS to be turned off. I learned without it and I have heard too many stories of it acting up sending the craft in a spastic ascend/descend routine.

That said, they key is very very smooth and light control input. These things are a piece of cake to fly indoors. No wind! if you get close to a wall, your prop wash can move it around a little but its not bad.

Here is an old video of me testing my old FC40 inside. This was before a gimbal so its rather shaky but as you can see, even with being a little jerky, it's a piece of cake.

One thing to note, if you are ever filming in a place that is not yours, I would suggest prop guards. I don't really like them however if you were to bump something with one of these, it would do some serious damage. Warehouse, not an issue...900 year old cathedral, I wouldn't think of flying without them!

14. HawkeyeImaging

Will it hover in place without VPS on or satellite lock?

15. Imabiggles

yep, you cant but in 0.

16. DPD

DPD

Are you able to use mapping software in a warehouse? Mapping software meaning one of the apps use for surveying property. Not sure if it would work indoors..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app