Flying inside a large room with high celings.

Reaction score
I know flying a P2V+ inside is not recommended, but I would like to fly inside a large auditorium with very high ceilings. What prep work/settings would you recommend to fly inside a LARGE room?

Get it in there and check satellites.... move it around the building quite a bit by hand and see if there are any disaster areas with crappy satellite reception.... don't get too close to the ceiling.... rotor craft can suck themselves up to a ceiling from as much as 4 or 5 feet away and end in total wreckage.

And think about if you really need to do this that bad... This is a sad story waiting to happen... Buildings are very unpredictable :ugeek:

There will be no sats so you will be flying in atti mode. Spend as many hours between now and then flying in atti mode and hope the **** you can pull it off. This isnt a beginner thing to try and please please tell me there will be nobody in the auditorium.

If there are going to be people there and you go ahead with it I just hope you are a millionaire to cover the insurance costs

On about my third flight I flew inside a school auditorium with about 200 kids screaming underneath. Terrifying! I thought I was going to be flying outside, but was ambushed with a "let's do it in the gym" when I arrived. I probably should have demurred, but after several minutes of heart-stopping, extremely slow flying, I managed to land safely and got a chance to wipe off my sweaty hands.

Not recommended! Having read all the posts about P2Vs falling out of the sky, I would not do that again, even though I'm a much better pilot now.

I forgot to mention this will be a building/auditorium with NO PEOPLE in it. This will also be for SLOW STABLE FLIGHT (no crazy stuff). In ATTI mode it needs no GPS satellites at all?

Actually scrub what I said, get 50 hours manual mode flying and then maybe try it. Dont bite off things you cant chew. You are asking advice about flying indoors without experience yet you are going to do it anyway. Dont ask anymore questions and let us know if you will be able to fly after. My advice is dont do it.

If it requires me to fly in manual mode then I will scrub it totally. I will NEVER fly it in manual mode. I thought maybe ATTI mode would work if I am unable to get stable GPS signal.

I've flown numerous times in our living room which is about 8'x25' with 8' ceiling height. Was actually able to fly in GPS mode but normally fly in ATTI mode. I believe that the Phantom 2 guys use different terms such as NAZA mode and Phantom mode? I'm not sure why the different terms used between Phantom 1, FC45 and Vision.

Phantom mode and NAZA-M mode I found out the general difference is "Phantom" mode locks down your S1 and S2 switches and all you can do is GPS mode. NAZA-M mode makes your S1 and S2 switches actually able to change into different flying modes such as ATTI mode. NAZA-M mode with your S1 and S2 switches both in the top position is the exact same thing as Phantom mode.

vjdave said:
If it requires me to fly in manual mode then I will scrub it totally. I will NEVER fly it in manual mode. I thought maybe ATTI mode would work if I am unable to get stable GPS signal.

You don't have to fly in manual mode. Good grief, that would be a nightmare. Just don't expect to have the nice hovering capabilities you'd get with GPS mode. ATTI will be available and allow you to fly slowly around. It's not that hard. Sheesh. And having an empty room is definitely the way to go.

Another vote for ATTI mode only. Even if you were able to lock in on satellites, there is no guarantee you won't loss them as you fly around the room.

On a side note, my father-in-law's buddy was in an r/c club that flew exhibition flights at Shea Stadium (in Queens, NY) back in 1979. The plane (or flying lawnmower) was lost in the lights and struck a man, who later died of his injuries.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/lawnmower.asp

malacca said:
vjdave said:

You don't have to fly in manual mode. Good grief, that would be a nightmare. Just don't expect to have the nice hovering capabilities you'd get with GPS mode. ATTI will be available and allow you to fly slowly around. It's not that hard. Sheesh. And having an empty room is definitely the way to go.

Having an empty room is the way to go but I guess the OP is doing this for some sort of task and to even try this for a first time is gonna result in tears. If you need to do this for a project get some experience first otherwise how will you feel if you wreck your bird in front of people? Will you feel smart? Dont bite off more than you can chew is my advice. By all means go ahead but if you have to ask about flying inside it means you dont know how to. I'm trying to save you face and the price of your phantom, thats all.

I agree that I don't have many flights under my belt....(so far only 1 flight in NAZA-M mode. all my other flights have been in Phantom mode. Never attempted Atti mode yet.) I will take your advice to heart that I will fly some Atti mode outside at the park to gain some experience first before even thinking of attempting an indoor flight.

You don't need manual, just ATTI mode.
My only significant crash with (no camera) Phantom 1 was trying it in a large draughty farm building on a day when it was damp and windy outside.
All seemed well at first but suddenly it started to drift with the breeze and rotated at the same time, my wrong correction sent it into the wall although it was only 3 or 4 feet high.

In short things can go wrong quickly, anything more than a brief very conservative flight is highly risky.
Air movements started by the phantom itself in a confined space are part of the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic