Flying Indoors

Reaction score
I've been invited to do a demo flying session with a sporting club which has a massive indoor arena. However the arena is within 1.5km to 2.0km of Tullamarine (Melbourne International) airport.

I'm using the latest software on all apparatus (bird, controller, dji app);

1. If I take off from the furthest end from the airport and get to say 100ft in height if I fly closer to the airport will it force me lower? Obviously in the 1.5km range it will land if i've read the information correctly, but is it in any mode (GPS, ATTI, Manual)?
2. Will ATTI mode be sufficient indoors?
3. Given I haven't done much manual flying (Husban X4 maybe for 20 hours), how much harder is it flying compared to GPS or ATTI given it's indoors and there isn't (or at least I don't think there is) much of a breeze?
4. How do you get to manual when the bottom of the S1 switch is set to RTH?
5. If on the day say there is a thunderstorm outside, how would this affect the bird given it's inside? I believe the compass would be a concern?
6. Would you calibrate the compass inside the building or outside?

With the above I'm not keen on downgrading for potentially one or two flights (as it's definitely going to be a one off) as i'd prefer to keep it as it is given my bird is flying quite nicely.

Sorry for all the questions and look forward to the replies!

My First question for you is are you flying a p1 or p2? I'm assuming it's a p2 because they have airport failsafe feature. Just a heads up manual flying is next to impossible if you are a novice flyer. I have flown at least 300 hours and I still have trouble with it. Not saying that you can't get a hang of it over time but if it's your first time I would not suggest it. I'm sure atti. Would be fine inside! You can calibrate compass on the inside make sure there aren't ANY metal objects close to you while you do this (close being 3-5 ft.). Hope this helped!

I'd be surprised if the airport restriction made much difference to your altitude since you'll be quite low anyway, and the distance travelled can't be that great?
You can forget trying full manual unless you have several weeks to get confident with it.
ATTI would be safest, but you will need to be good at gently correcting drift without getting the least confused about orientation as it gets further away in a distracting environment.
The compass could probably be done inside OK, in fact it might be best in case the building has itself some localised effect on the magnetic field. I don't remember seeing anyone thinking thunderstorms affect compass, but then you wouldn't often fly while a storm was very close.

4wd said:
ATTI would be safest, but you will need to be good at gently correcting drift without getting the least confused about orientation as it gets further away in a distracting environment.

Agree with 4wd here, since there wont be any wind, inertia is going to be your main issue flying. I would want a test flight in the facility before the event.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I need to find a big open place to fly atti to get a feel for a while. So atti mode will self level but has no sat connections to hold it in position right?

Don't be surprised to find some air currents in the arena, depending on how they ventilate the arena. I have been in some when they open large outside doors and create strong drafts and eddies. If possible, do some practice flights in the arena or at least check it out.

Soulnet said:
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I need to find a big open place to fly atti to get a feel for a while. So atti mode will self level but has no sat connections to hold it in position right?

Correct. I did a photo shoot inside a large gymnasium for my son's gymnastics team, and it was actually a lot of fun. Just place your phantom in a ATTI mode and fly as normal except remember it will not hold position at all. You will be very active on the controls and will need a very genial input. The advice regarding orientation is an important point. I would highly recommend you go in and do some test flights to get a feel of how it flies inside and practice control with various orientations. I did not do the compass dance.

Hope this helps. I am sure you are taking the time to be safe, but a closed area with people and 4 spinning blades is a recipe for... You know.

If I crash into someone and they are injured it will be on the back page of every paper in Australia given the clubs profile.

Prop guards.

One more question. Should I start in ATTI mode or leave it in GPS and see what I can get?

You will probably be best staying fully ATTI.
If it finds satellites then intermittently loses one or two it will be more unpredictable than not using at all.
You may well get some satellites but parts of the structure could easily mask them as you move about.

You need to test the location beforehand, it might just be that the roof allows enough satellites to be seen.
Even then it could be different when there are lots of people in there with cell phones etc.

4wd said:
You will probably be best staying fully ATTI.
If it finds satellites then intermittently loses one or two it will be more unpredictable than not using at all.
You may well get some satellites but parts of the structure could easily mask them as you move about.

You need to test the location beforehand, it might just be that the roof allows enough satellites to be seen.
Even then it could be different when there are lots of people in there with cell phones etc.

+1

Also if you do fly GPS indoors (it is possible), make sure you deactivate 20m/60ft ascend RTH feature. Change to hover in the phantom assist. Murphy's law, you might accidently turn off your controller or bump it and the battery falls out or accident trigger RTH with the S1.

As 4WD stated, I think its best to fly full ATTI. Maybe place a piece of foil on the shell of the phantom to block the GPS so it doesn't pick up any satellites.

And practice first to accommodate for air conditioning and drafts through open windows. And KEEP CALM because **** escalates quickly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31