Flying indoors question

rmb

Reaction score
i have both a phantom 4 and inspire 1. I have been ask to fly inside a large (EMPTY) cathedral which I am really looking forward to. That said I have not flown indoors. My first question is I assume that I should be in atti mode?
Also and I know this is a phantom forum, if anyone has experience with the inspire, I would love to hear your thoughts on the inspire 1 vs. phantom 4 for indoor flight. I am choosing the P4 just because I figure that it is smaller and a bit more nimble, but if I am off base with that assumption, let me know as it should would be nice to have the superior camera control and a second operator.

Thanks in advance and please feel free to offer any other indoor fly tips you can think of. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of pilots out there with a lot of indoor fly time.

I believe I Atti mode would be best, because both aircraft have Visional Positioning systems which should keep them very rock solid indoors when close to the ground. You should definitely use the Phantom for indoor because of the smaller form factor like you said. But like I was saying you shouldn't fly GPS inside because if your drone Returns to home for whatever reason inside that could potentially become a very dangerous situation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should practice this indoors elsewhere first. Don't practice in the cathedral since you've never done it.

I don't fly indoors hardly ever, but my recollection is atti won't control xy coordinates indoors with VPS, just like it won't outdoors. I think you need to be in P mode to enable xy stabilization using VPS. The P4 VPS is advertised to work up to 30' high to control xy coordinates, but I wouldn't trust it more than 20' on a job in a cathedral, that's just me.

Also, change the "signal loss" behavior to hover instead of RTH upon losing signal or low battery.

It's also wise to use prop guards, but you need to get use to them first, as the flight characteristics are a little different. It takes about 10 days to get P4 prop guards from DJI if ordered online. They shipped from China when I bought them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erised
I've flown both the P3 and P4 in very tight quarters indoors. I recommend P-Mode. YMMV.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic