Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying Indoors -- Possibly Losing Satellite

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by PaloAltoDoug, Feb 26, 2015.

1. PaloAltoDoug

Someone suggested that it might be possible begin operating my Phantom 2 outdoors (confirming satellite communications, of course), then slowly fly into a building (through double-wide doors) and into a large space inside, and perhaps even go through another door and maintaining good control. Is this possible? I am wondering if by doing that, all the failsafe and control will be suddenly lost? For example, if my Phantom 2 is inside a building, doesn't it lose the ability to simply hover if I'm not moving the joysticks on the controller? How does all that work if no satellite? I would appreciate any advice on how this might be successfully done, or if I should avoid doing anything of the sort. Thanks!!

2. aartsf

Indoors it might loose gps lock, however that does not mean you will loose all controle, as it will automatically switch to Att mode. This means i will drift with the wind/drafts for which you will have to compensate manually using the controle sticks. It will maintain altitude automaticaly/by itself though.

3. PaloAltoDoug

Good to know. Thanks!

4. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Do not fly GPS mode indoors. ATTI only.

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you want to do that - you definitely want to practice outdoors first.
    Flying in atti mode is a bit like driving on ice - the Phantom won't stop when you take your hands off the sticks.

6. PaloAltoDoug

Thank you. I will most certainly practice outdoors.

7. Mako79

Leave in ATTI. Keep away from walls and roof. Walls will create a vortex and cause instability. Roofs will cause the phantom to get sucked into the roof.

Turn off RTH altitude in the phantom assist. Just incase a gps lock is found and RTH is triggered, it doesn't auto rise 20m and smack the roof.

8. aartsf

Good point about turning off RTH indoors; thanks for that Mako