Flying Indoors Clarification

Reaction score
Hello,

I fly indoors for various events and contracts. I have been flying my steadidrone FLARE but just purchased the P3P. Will someone correct me if I am wrong. To fly indoors safety, I need to turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth. Change the settings from GPS to ATTI and activate the VPS and I am good to go. Is that all?

Thanks!

For the VPS to work, you will need to have a surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (Lux > 15).
It won't work in dim conditions or with vaguely patterned surfaces like concrete or carpet.
It also doesn't workhigher than 3 metres.

Set remote to P mode (P atti)
Turn on VPS
It will work on patern surface and has enough lightning so the vps can detect any patern

Glad you made the post because I was about to ask the same thing....A friend of mine has asked me to record his wife's roller derby events. He said the lighting is fair but I don't know exactly what he means by that. I assume the skate rink does not have any significant patterns on the floor. What would the worst case scenario be if I took a chance and flew inside. I am leaning more toward not doing it but......

The VPS just holds horizontal position. So unless you're trying to do precision flying at low levels, it won't really matter. Since you'll be in ATTI and there will be no wind, it won't drift too badly. Just be aware that you'll need to control horizontal deceleration because ATTI will "skid" if you take your thumb off the right stick after an acceleration. I would go practice, a lot, in ATTI prior to flying indoors.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Forget about vps working because it's very hit and miss. You will be flying in atti mode the whole time so go very easy on the sticks as you will be making a lot of over corrections otherwise. Get some prop guards too and get lots of practice in preferably with nobody inside the building.
Here's a shameless plug for my cathedral video again ;)

Forget about vps working because it's very hit and miss. You will be flying in atti mode the whole time so go very easy on the sticks as you will be making a lot of over corrections otherwise. Get some prop guards too and get lots of practice in preferably with nobody inside the building.

Awesome!

Thanks for the amazing video and suggestions. I will be purchasing the prop guards and start ptacticing with atti...I have around 75 flights and feel quite comfortable with flying "P" mode now. Is there a big learning curve with atti? Is it that hard to get down? I keep reading how hard people say it is and it has scared me into not trying it as much as I should....Thanks!

Try it in a wide open area on a day with zero wind if possible so you get the hang of it. Just fly nice and slowly. To move in any one direction, especially indoors you'll find yourself just giving the sticks slight nudges because it's momentum will just keep it going. If you can imagine a space craft in space with jets, to move they would be giving small bursts of thrust to go in a certain direction and to stop they would be giving opposite bursts of thrust. It's very similar. Just remember when you take your hand off the right stick your phantom will just keep going in that direction and won't stop immediately as you are used to. Try get some practice in a big empty hall if possible but definitely get prop guards just in case you have a brain fart and forget to stop it touching off a wall. Might be a good idea to have a spotter with you who knows how to fly drones too.

Space city drones: Mal is right, sort of, with his analogy. But in space you would continue indefinitely (until you get cought by gravity) without opposite trust..
When you fly Atti mode your Phantom will eventually stop from the resistance of the air but chances are you hit something way before.. You can compare this with these Everglades air boats wit the big air-prop in the back. They also have no brakes and are pretty difficult to steer......
Whether you compare it to space, an airboat or an hovercraft, the most important task to practice is to reverse trust in order to slow down and/or stop! And that's just for straight lines. Curves add another dimension to it.
It takes some practice and pretty sensible fingers. Don't forget to extend your sticks as much as possible as this helps with the sensitivity.
After you master Atti mode, you will love it, as it gives you a real sense of flying compared to telling an autopilot (P-mode) where to go

Very nice stuff MAL, both the finished video and the making of.
I definitely have to came and visit Dublin...

Very nice stuff MAL, both the finished video and the making of.
I definitely have to came and visit Dublin...
Thanks Andrea,
I have many more videos of Dublin on YouTube under Sky Pixels Ireland to see some of the sights before you get here :)

Don't think I saw this mentioned but shouldn't you also adjust your RTH settings to either, "hoover" or something other than letting the phantom fly high into a ceiling, of course that will only happen if it is 20 or is it 30 meters from home point? This is in case that the P3 looses signal for whatever reason to the RC and goes into RTH mode.

Reactions: reboot81

Ok, hold on a minute here, Mal. You expect us to believe you entered into a church and it didn’t burn down? Not buying it man.

Just joking :)
Real nice videos I’m jealous….

Ok, hold on a minute here, Mal. You expect us to believe you entered into a church and it didn’t burn down? Not buying it man.

Just joking :)
Real nice videos I’m jealous….
Yeah I had to wear a lead suit and I still came out sunburned :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik