FLYING INDOOR TIPS?

Reaction score
Hey i'm going to fly indoor tomorrow and wondering if there is some things i should know before i take off and fly, thanks.

My best advice is don't fly indoors. To many obsticles and not enough space to make adjustments for errors. If you have to fly indoors check you wallet. You'll need more money. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: cr6
Unless "indoors" means an indoor arena, the best advice is don't do it. Flying in ATTI mode within a confined environment is just asking for a very quick bad ending.

I tried it in a warehouse once in ATTI mode. Even with a 20 foot ceiling I was very uncomfortable. It drifts a lot in ATTI, even indoors with no wind. If you just HAVE to try it go slow and use very gentle stick movement. Easier said than done haha Another option is to hold it like a camera and walk around with it. Leave the props off. Much safer than flying indoors.

I don't fly indoors as I think its stupid and the chances of going pear shape is high. Here is a few pointers if you do decide...

Do NOT calibrate the compass indoors.

In the Phantom assist, turn off RTH = 0 meters and set to hover and land. Why?? Battery and failsafe triggers. Sometimes the phantom can acquire GPS signal through the walls and can do RTH on low battery. Last thing you want is the phantom to shoot into the ceiling on a false attempt to RTH.

As mentioned, fly in ATTI. Practice ATTI mode outside so you know how much control you really have. You will discover how much the GPS is a godsend and inertia is NOT your friend. Also, try and assure zero or minimal GPS counts by placing some foil on the outer centre top shell. This blocks the GPS antenna and enforces ATTI mode only.

Keep an eye on open windows, vents and draughts.

And finally keep away from walls and ceilings. Walls creates vortexes and causes the phantom to tilt. Ceiling creates suction and causes the phantom to suck up into the roof. Don't panic and the props are NOT angled like the P3 motors. Just descend slowly and DONT trigger CSC like many have.

Reactions: HaniG
Pouring rain all day yesterday. Bored silly. I'm in a rental cabin in western nc. The main room is large with a high ceiling. Hmm.

So just for fun I started messin' with my vision. Started it up and to my surprise I got 7 satellites. Hmm.

Started the props. Yep, they work.

I felt I had enough room for a launch. Just a few feet off the ground, you know? So I did. Deep breath. Launch.

I didn't like the way it hovered. I was in gps mode and it seemed to be trying to correct itself so I landed it safely.

Then I decided to try again in attitude. It was better but then I realized that even a very low speed ceiling fan was affecting the flight. So I landed and turned that off.

Third launch. Up. Steady. I practiced just keeping it in place for a couple mins. Then proceeded to move it to the left. Then slowly moved it back to me. All the papers and stuff started blowing around. Back, back. Then to the right to the kitchen area. A box of crackers tipped over and fell to the floor.

Forward. Towards the fireplace area. To the left. Down. Gently... Land.

Success!

I recommend prop guards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers