Flying in wintertime

Nice video. Quick suggestion...snow flakes = water. I would recommend not flying in this condition again, you will eventually have an issue.

I know there arent many that will even have to think about this, but where I live it hits 120 degrees F (48 Celsius) sometimes in the summer. What precautions can I take in extreme heat?
I have lived in the deserts of Arizona my entire life and I can think of no sane reason why anyone would want to fly on a 120 degree plus day, lol.

I got my P3 around Christmas time and each time I've flown it's been -5 to -15C. The P3 operated fine, but I soon leaned that my iphone 6 that I was using with it ran out of battery very quickly in the cold. I bet that it didn't last more than 15 minutes before the low battery warning came on. The last time I switched over to a Samsung tablet and it seemed to do much better.

I have lived in the deserts of Arizona my entire life and I can think of no sane reason why anyone would want to fly on a 120 degree plus day, lol.
I live in Arizona and have flown in or around 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I won't do it again.

We have been very cold and I haven't been brave enough to fly, (not to mention the high winds with). Don't know if windchill temps -28Deg F (-33 deg C) would be detrimental. Believe they will so haven't risked it, yet. We should get above zero later this week.

Everybody keeps talking about don't worry fly below zero. What you got to understand is... The battery voltage drops faster and The battery discharge is a lot quicker. Both of these actions on the battery, its overall life is reduced, because it's having to work a lot harder.

So one off doesn't matter but try to fly in slightly warmer conditions 5c+ i say

Here is an excellent video from Simon about cold weather flying...

What I read in forums for advice if you are in colder climate is to set it out on your back step for about 20 minutes to get it to the temp you will be flying in. Then have your RC and everything ready to go and bring it in and do an IMU. Have everything ready to go because there is a little heater in them and if it takes you a minute or two to start your IMU it will be at about room temp already. The reason being that otherwise your drone has to warm up to the temp the IMU was done at at room temp. I did a firmware upgrade and did and IMU and it took awhile to warm up. Set it outside for 20 minutes and redid the IMU and no warm up time. It was about 10F that day

Everybody keeps talking about don't worry fly below zero. What you got to understand is... The battery voltage drops faster and The battery discharge is a lot quicker. Both of these actions on the battery, its overall life is reduced, because it's having to work a lot harder.

So one off doesn't matter but try to fly in slightly warmer conditions 5c+ i say

having flown at -5 F some and 10F a lot the key is
fly easy , fly slow and call 10 minutes done for the battery.( fingers about 5 min,)

everything is brittle at those temps so slow and easy is key (prop will snap on any contact)

good luck and have fun flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20