Flying in wintertime

Flight at about -5 Celsius ,
Took off 100% battery fresh from the morning , landed at about 35% .. Aside from my frozen fingers , it flew perfectly

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Will test again today at home as it's about -15 Celsius
Nice. I see your lake is still liquid, we're all ice in CO these days.
Was that orbit shot manual or POI? if manually shot, well done.

Nice. I see your lake is still liquid, we're all ice in CO these days.
Was that orbit shot manual or POI? if manually shot, well done.
It was POI using Go App
As for the lake not being frozen , It usually is by Christmas , but the weather is pretty mild this year .

2af03c14fdd2f5d769087ceafafc9672.jpg

Was out flying today in great winter weather, -15C. No problems at all, and did fly close to 15 minutes.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: lookin4pain
Keep the batteries warm (keep replacements inside your jacket). Cold batteries of all types loose capacity and rate of discharge capability with cold. Once they're in the aircraft and flying, they'll probably keep themselves warm. In fact, when they're drained, quickly put them back inside your jacket----They just may help keep YOU warm. :)

As for the guy with icy rotor blades....I suspect it's a lot like a real airplane. If you fly in icing conditions, you can expect ice and loss of blade lifting efficiency. Of course, we don't have to worry about carburetor icing like we did a few years back before fuel injection. Oh, never mind. That only applies to real airplanes.

Hi!
I´ve just bought my new Phantom 3 pro.
The present temperature here in sweden is aprx. -10 dgr. C.

Is there any known problems with flying in under these cold conditions?
Is there a recommended minimum temperature for flying?

I quess the battery will be affected but will there be more problems?

Please give me some good advices.
I flew my Phantom today at -27 Celsius. I had no problems, but exercise caution with shorter flights and only using warm batteries. I also do some slow maneuvers to warm up the battery.

All I can say is snuggle and get some warm drink afterwards. Man that looks cold. Beautiful picture too.

If you check the Battery Safety Sheet that came with your P3 it recommends flying between -10c and 40c. I live in Canada and flew for 40 minutes yesterday at -8c

I keep the batteries warm in the car on the heated passenger seat. Usually when I pop the battery in the battery temp is about 17-18C. I let the aircraft idle/hover low for about 2:min30sec until the battery temp reaches 25 c. I also make sure to liftoff slowly

I notice the battery temp is about 36c when it lands. I only push it to 12-15 min per battery. I have 4 It seems to work for me.

....after 40 minutes I'm a popsicle by then...go slow in the snow!
Popsicle... I like that. I'm in Canada too. Waiting for some clear sky. It's been snowing nonstop everyday here for the past 3 week. Today is clear sky. I'll bring it out.

Reactions: Phantazmk
Hi!
I´ve just bought my new Phantom 3 pro.
The present temperature here in sweden is aprx. -10 dgr. C.

Is there any known problems with flying in under these cold conditions?
Is there a recommended minimum temperature for flying?

I quess the battery will be affected but will there be more problems?

Please give me some good advices.
I flew my Phantom Vision 2 Plus yesterday morning when it was -27 Celsius and -37 Celsius with the wind chill. Here is a video of the screen capture I took as I was using the Litchi App for a GroundStation flight. I had absolutely no problems, but did hover a bit and move around at a low altitude to get the batteries warmed up. I also used only a fully charged battery.

Thank you. The same things: blurry center, sharp edges and left side.

It might be the case, I havent done such detailed analysis myself. Generally I am very happy with the results obtained by the Phantom 3 Advanced camera.

Had another flight in - 20 C today. No issues, but at the start of the flight, the "arms/props" was vibrating in the beginning, on hover. Is this normal behavior, or could this be some issues with the motor/props?

Had to order some "iPhones gloves" today, my fingers doesn't last long in this cold ;)

Had another flight in - 20 C today. No issues, but at the start of the flight, the "arms/props" was vibrating in the beginning, on hover. Is this normal behavior, or could this be some issues with the motor/props?

Had to order some "iPhones gloves" today, my fingers doesn't last long in this cold ;)

I saw that this morning for the first time @ -4C while running up the rpms and watching the battery voltage and temp. Found no issue and it flew fine but it had a vibration in M2 (right front facing front of bird.)

If the snow settles down I'm going to try it again and see if it is still there.

EDIT....the Heat 3 gloves are fantastic although pricey

Anyone can show their pictures (original size) shooted in cold weather ( -5C and below)? I'm trying to find example of perfect sharp images in cold condition.

Today not so cold (-2c) and some sun, perfect to go out with the bird.

Warm battery, no wind, no snow...ready to fly.

After around 15 minutes, my IPhone switched off (I was 66%) and off course I lost contact with my P3p. Certainly the cold.

Hopefully it was 400-500 m from me and the RTH worked perfectly and I saw my bird coming back. I took the hand for landing.

Happy end :))

Any advice for tablet or smartphone? I have to admit that I have no cover on it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

this was taken today at -1deg. perfect flight

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers