Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

flying in very windy conditions

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by vlper, Mar 13, 2016.

1. vlper

Hi there

Have had the P3P for a while now and where i'm from in western australia its very windy. The bird usually handles up to 25km/h winds fine. its usually only landing where i have to be careful about. On the weekend i was flying in about 25km/h wind with some gust up to 35km/h. The bird is fine but my camera gimbal seems to "twitch" and the landing skid comes into view halfway into the video. i have never seen it before. I also have some weights and filter attached to the camera.

whats the worse that can happen in windy conditions? can the wind actually flip the bird?

2. WetDog

The biggest problem in high winds is losing the bird due to a gust and an unfortunately placed hard object. The other problem is rapid depletion of the battery - you might not make it home on time.

Yes, your photography can suffer. The gimbal is a pretty impressive device but it has limits.

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

It's not likely to flip in mid-flight. You could tip and flip it when touching down though. Play it safe and don't fly when you think it's too windy. Or, pick up a heaver bird -- like an Inspire :)

4. vlper

Yes I've been quite confident of my P3P in windy conditions being very careful not to go too far downwind.

On the weekend i had an unfortunate series of events where I was using a new-ish battery, flying over water in windy conditions and at the exact moment the camera twitched to the side enough to show the landing skid, i lost video.

obviously shat myself big time but video came back 2 mins later thr bird was hovering at the same position. phew!

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

Right -- that'll happen. The Phantom is a pro at recovering though.